Jul 12, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
LAS VEGAS — The Cavaliers selected Anthony Bennett with the number one overall pick in this year’s draft, and Summer League is usually our first chance to get a look at the most recent lottery picks in an NBA setting.
Bennett, who played his college ball at UNLV, won’t be participating, however, due to still recovering from the shoulder surgery he underwent back in May.
The original timetable for his return to basketball activity was four months, which should have him ready by the time training camp gets going in October.
There are a couple of other first round picks who won’t be participating — Alex Len, selected by the Suns with the fifth overall pick, just underwent successful surgery on his injured right ankle, and Sergey Karasev, a future teammate of Bennett’s in Cleveland, will miss the event due to a commitment with the Russian national team.
The Cavaliers play the Lakers in the third game of Friday’s opening day of action in Las Vegas. The team’s new head coach, Mike Brown, is expected to coach the squad, which will feature second-year players Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 6
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 11
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 22
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 40
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5