Jul 12, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
LAS VEGAS — The Cavaliers selected Anthony Bennett with the number one overall pick in this year’s draft, and Summer League is usually our first chance to get a look at the most recent lottery picks in an NBA setting.
Bennett, who played his college ball at UNLV, won’t be participating, however, due to still recovering from the shoulder surgery he underwent back in May.
The original timetable for his return to basketball activity was four months, which should have him ready by the time training camp gets going in October.
There are a couple of other first round picks who won’t be participating — Alex Len, selected by the Suns with the fifth overall pick, just underwent successful surgery on his injured right ankle, and Sergey Karasev, a future teammate of Bennett’s in Cleveland, will miss the event due to a commitment with the Russian national team.
The Cavaliers play the Lakers in the third game of Friday’s opening day of action in Las Vegas. The team’s new head coach, Mike Brown, is expected to coach the squad, which will feature second-year players Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38