Jul 12, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
LAS VEGAS — The Cavaliers selected Anthony Bennett with the number one overall pick in this year’s draft, and Summer League is usually our first chance to get a look at the most recent lottery picks in an NBA setting.
Bennett, who played his college ball at UNLV, won’t be participating, however, due to still recovering from the shoulder surgery he underwent back in May.
The original timetable for his return to basketball activity was four months, which should have him ready by the time training camp gets going in October.
There are a couple of other first round picks who won’t be participating — Alex Len, selected by the Suns with the fifth overall pick, just underwent successful surgery on his injured right ankle, and Sergey Karasev, a future teammate of Bennett’s in Cleveland, will miss the event due to a commitment with the Russian national team.
The Cavaliers play the Lakers in the third game of Friday’s opening day of action in Las Vegas. The team’s new head coach, Mike Brown, is expected to coach the squad, which will feature second-year players Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54