Jul 12, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
LAS VEGAS — The Cavaliers selected Anthony Bennett with the number one overall pick in this year’s draft, and Summer League is usually our first chance to get a look at the most recent lottery picks in an NBA setting.
Bennett, who played his college ball at UNLV, won’t be participating, however, due to still recovering from the shoulder surgery he underwent back in May.
The original timetable for his return to basketball activity was four months, which should have him ready by the time training camp gets going in October.
There are a couple of other first round picks who won’t be participating — Alex Len, selected by the Suns with the fifth overall pick, just underwent successful surgery on his injured right ankle, and Sergey Karasev, a future teammate of Bennett’s in Cleveland, will miss the event due to a commitment with the Russian national team.
The Cavaliers play the Lakers in the third game of Friday’s opening day of action in Las Vegas. The team’s new head coach, Mike Brown, is expected to coach the squad, which will feature second-year players Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30