Nets, Celtics officially complete trade sending Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to Brooklyn

Jul 12, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT

Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce

The Nets and Celtics have officially completed their blockbuster trade that sends Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to Brooklyn.

Because this detail had so many reported iterations, here are the final terms:

The Brooklyn Nets have acquired Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry and D.J. White from the Boston Celtics in exchange for Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks, Kris Joseph, Keith Bogans and three first round draft picks (2014, 2016 and 2018), as well as the right to swap first round picks in 2017

As Kurt wrote when the trade was first reported, “Brooklyn should be a better team, a more dangerous playoff team, but a lot of things have to go right for them to knock Miami off it’s three-time defending Eastern Conference champions perch. Their margin for error is small.”

With the deal finalized, the Nets can move forward. I’m just not sure how far.

1. mashoaf - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Brooklyn is obviously not concerned about their distant future….

• 00maltliquor - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM

They’re Lakers East. They don’t rebuild, they reload.

LOVE an owner that’s willing to spend!

• dirtydavis - Jul 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM

^^^Don’t know about the whole lakers east mumbo jumbo garbage.

• 1historian - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM

“They don’t rebuild, they reload.”

If you’re talking about the Celtics – good one.

If you’re talking about the Nets – you don’t say that until they’ve won a few titles,which the Nets have never done, as in never, as in not one.

• bishop2288 - Jul 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Nets will suck. They are too worried about making an impression now, trust me its gonna hurt them in a few years big time. Its one thing if you are sure that you have the players you wish to put yourself in this position over but take a goodlook at their roster and think a few years down the road. No way. This was stupid

2. gotampabay52 - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Heat arent scared of that so the guys we beat just moved over to another team beat boston check beat brooklyn next b#%&hes

• bkpumice - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Holy crap, use some punctuation once in a while. Your sentence makes NO sense, even WITH context.

3. hartdaddy - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Next move I see the Nets making would be to implement light bright uniforms & playing their games with the lightsout while bears juggle chainsaws on unicycles. Gotta put on a show Mikhal.

4. asimonetti88 - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM

The Nets are actually making some nice moves, and their bench is solid. I don’t know what it will translate onto the floor as, but it’s definitely going to be interesting to watch them this season.

5. blakegriffin32 - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM

If Brooklyn implodes in couple years, those draft picks are going to be absolutely genius for the celtics (and the ability to swap in 2017? Wow.) plus adding the pick the C’s got from my Clips and that is a lot of first round talent/trade bait.

Good to see the Celtics rebuilding correctly. Pierce and Garnett deserve a chance to win.

Now to see if the Lakers take note.

• dirtydavis - Jul 12, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Lakers take note??? It’s going to take the Celtics 15 plus years to rebuild before they win another title,

“Lakers never rebuild, they reload”

^^^^ Sick slogan

6. bestofbrittbratt - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I was a pretty big fan of the Celtics since 2008. I loved Doc’s coaching tatics and the team as a whole. The minute Allen left, I saw the end coming for them. Pierce was my second favorite on the team. Enough said. I am not a fan of trades!

7. 00maltliquor - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

So exactly how many SGs and PFs are on the C’s? And who starts at SF, Jeff Green or Gerald Wallace’s $10,000,000 contract?

8. rodge1 - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

@00maltliquor

By ‘Lakers East’ do you mean spend more money than everyone and get knocked out early in the playoffs?… Sounds about right!

• 00maltliquor - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Ha. Ha. Ha.

I guess I set myself up for that one. I’m not worried though, we will get the last laugh in the end. Who’s you’re team BTW? Mmmm hmmm…..

• asimonetti88 - Jul 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

He’s a Heat “fan” I believe.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

@ asimonetti88

Yeah, I know he is, that’s why I added in the “Mmmm hmmm”.
        Miami Heat fan, est. 2010

• asimonetti88 - Jul 12, 2013 at 9:52 PM

No, I’m sure he was a Heat fan in the Rory Sparrow days too!

• 00maltliquor - Jul 13, 2013 at 2:21 AM

@ asimonetti88

…….well then. Don’t I look stupid. LOL

@ rodge1

If this is true^, the aiight, you got me. That was a good one. This isn’t over though, I’ll be back (in Terminator voice).

9. ProBasketballPundit - Jul 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Adding Kevin Garnett and Kirilenko is huge. I never took them seriously, but I do now. Even with several of these guys well into their 30’s this could be a scary team in the playoffs. Play tough D and sacrifice stats and they could definitely take Miami to 7 games.

10. money2long - Jul 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM

i wanna see them in those jerseys. paul pierce will look different. so, so different.

11. 1historian - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I already think the Celts got the best of the deal – the Nets went after Garnett & Pierce to be the veteran leaders to get them over the hump in the playoffs. If they don’t win it all within the next 2 years (they won’t) they’re screwed.

Meanwhile – (so far) the Celts have 9 #1 picks in the next 5 drafts. Next year they’ll probably (?) be a lottery team. If they don’t like their lottery spot they can take their pick spot and the Nets’ #1 and try to trade up for a better spot. (Next year’s draft is supposed to be one of the best in years.) And they’re clearing away some cap space for next year’s FA class, which is supposed to be pretty good, and they’ve got some good young talent there already.

There will be a few rough years but I don’t think more than 2. I predict that 3 years from now people will be calling this trade a genius move by Ainge. From my (reserved, gilded) seat in the peanut gallery I’m saying it now.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches