Jul 12, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
The Bobcats amnestied Tyrus Thomas, making the move official Wednesday. Any team with space to absorb his 2013-14 salary of $8,694,215 can claim him (not happening). If that doesn’t happen, any team with cap room can bid how much it wants to pay him the next two seasons (maybe happening). That process takes 48 hours, so sometime today, we’ll learn Thomas’ fate.
If Thomas clears waivers – why wouldn’t a team under the cap offer to pay Thomas a minimum contract, though? – he’ll become an unrestricted free agent, and if that happens, he’ll have at least one suitor.
Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:
Knicks have interest in Tyrus Thomas, who was officially released by the Bobcats today.—
Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) July 10, 2013
The Knicks used part of their taxpayer mid-level exception to re-sign Pablo Prigioni, but they still have a portion left. Thomas might not command more than a minimum contract, anyway.
Thomas has steadily declined in Charlotte, injuries and a general malaise to blame. Perhaps, playing for a winning team would help Thomas show his talent. The Knicks would certainly be hoping Thomas resembles Andray Blatche, another young player who underachieved on a big contract and was amnestied before finding success with the Nets.
Maybe Thomas can repeat that, and for a Knicks team falling behind the East’s other top teams, it’s a worthy risk. Better than standing pat. Or trading for Andrea Bargnani.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23