Jul 12, 2013, 1:55 PM EST
The Bobcats amnestied Tyrus Thomas, making the move official Wednesday. Any team with space to absorb his 2013-14 salary of $8,694,215 can claim him (not happening). If that doesn’t happen, any team with cap room can bid how much it wants to pay him the next two seasons (maybe happening). That process takes 48 hours, so sometime today, we’ll learn Thomas’ fate.
If Thomas clears waivers – why wouldn’t a team under the cap offer to pay Thomas a minimum contract, though? – he’ll become an unrestricted free agent, and if that happens, he’ll have at least one suitor.
Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:
Knicks have interest in Tyrus Thomas, who was officially released by the Bobcats today.—
Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) July 10, 2013
The Knicks used part of their taxpayer mid-level exception to re-sign Pablo Prigioni, but they still have a portion left. Thomas might not command more than a minimum contract, anyway.
Thomas has steadily declined in Charlotte, injuries and a general malaise to blame. Perhaps, playing for a winning team would help Thomas show his talent. The Knicks would certainly be hoping Thomas resembles Andray Blatche, another young player who underachieved on a big contract and was amnestied before finding success with the Nets.
Maybe Thomas can repeat that, and for a Knicks team falling behind the East’s other top teams, it’s a worthy risk. Better than standing pat. Or trading for Andrea Bargnani.
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 0
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 0
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 10
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 5
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)