Jul 12, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
NBA free agency is about the money. First, second and third. This is a business.
But it’s also about feeling wanted. Players feel neglected and overlooked by the team they are on and suddenly here comes other teams telling them how special they are, now much they are wanted and needed, and by the way here’s a nice check to go with that love. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. It’s no wonder a lot of guys that sign offer sheets really don’t want their original team to match it.
That’s where Jeff Teague is — he signed an offer sheet with the Bucks (four years, $32 million) and he’d prefer if the Hawks didn’t match it, he told the Journal Sentinel.
“I’m definitely excited at the opportunity to come back to work with Larry Drew,” Teague said. “The Bucks have a good team, a young nucleus and guys that are ready to take the next step. I can help.”
(Teague’s agent J.R.) Hensley said Teague was frustrated by the Hawks’ lack of interest and phoned team president and general manager Danny Ferry to inform him he did not want to return to Atlanta.
“I’m nervous,” Teague said of the waiting game which will play out until Atlanta makes its decision. “I really want to be here. I thank Milwaukee for giving me this opportunity and taking a chance on me.”
See, it’s also about feeling wanted. The Bucks told Teague how much they wanted him while Atlanta, as is their right, coldly let the market set the price tag to keep him. Now Danny Ferry and the Hawks have to decide if they keep Teague, let him go and go with Mo Williams or guys on the roster, or go chase a free agent such as Brandon Jennings, who was a Buck and didn’t feel the love from Milwaukee.
Atlanta has to make a decision by Saturday.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30