Jul 12, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
NBA free agency is about the money. First, second and third. This is a business.
But it’s also about feeling wanted. Players feel neglected and overlooked by the team they are on and suddenly here comes other teams telling them how special they are, now much they are wanted and needed, and by the way here’s a nice check to go with that love. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. It’s no wonder a lot of guys that sign offer sheets really don’t want their original team to match it.
That’s where Jeff Teague is — he signed an offer sheet with the Bucks (four years, $32 million) and he’d prefer if the Hawks didn’t match it, he told the Journal Sentinel.
“I’m definitely excited at the opportunity to come back to work with Larry Drew,” Teague said. “The Bucks have a good team, a young nucleus and guys that are ready to take the next step. I can help.”
(Teague’s agent J.R.) Hensley said Teague was frustrated by the Hawks’ lack of interest and phoned team president and general manager Danny Ferry to inform him he did not want to return to Atlanta.
“I’m nervous,” Teague said of the waiting game which will play out until Atlanta makes its decision. “I really want to be here. I thank Milwaukee for giving me this opportunity and taking a chance on me.”
See, it’s also about feeling wanted. The Bucks told Teague how much they wanted him while Atlanta, as is their right, coldly let the market set the price tag to keep him. Now Danny Ferry and the Hawks have to decide if they keep Teague, let him go and go with Mo Williams or guys on the roster, or go chase a free agent such as Brandon Jennings, who was a Buck and didn’t feel the love from Milwaukee.
Atlanta has to make a decision by Saturday.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 11
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11