Jeff Teague doesn’t want Atlanta to match Milwaukee’s offer

Jul 12, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

Miami Heat v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

NBA free agency is about the money. First, second and third. This is a business.

But it’s also about feeling wanted. Players feel neglected and overlooked by the team they are on and suddenly here comes other teams telling them how special they are, now much they are wanted and needed, and by the way here’s a nice check to go with that love. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. It’s no wonder a lot of guys that sign offer sheets really don’t want their original team to match it.

That’s where Jeff Teague is — he signed an offer sheet with the Bucks (four years, $32 million) and he’d prefer if the Hawks didn’t match it, he told the Journal Sentinel.

“I’m definitely excited at the opportunity to come back to work with Larry Drew,” Teague said. “The Bucks have a good team, a young nucleus and guys that are ready to take the next step. I can help.”

(Teague’s agent J.R.) Hensley said Teague was frustrated by the Hawks’ lack of interest and phoned team president and general manager Danny Ferry to inform him he did not want to return to Atlanta.

“I’m nervous,” Teague said of the waiting game which will play out until Atlanta makes its decision. “I really want to be here. I thank Milwaukee for giving me this opportunity and taking a chance on me.”

See, it’s also about feeling wanted. The Bucks told Teague how much they wanted him while Atlanta, as is their right, coldly let the market set the price tag to keep him. Now Danny Ferry and the Hawks have to decide if they keep Teague, let him go and go with Mo Williams or guys on the roster, or go chase a free agent such as Brandon Jennings, who was a Buck and didn’t feel the love from Milwaukee.

Atlanta has to make a decision by Saturday.

1. ProBasketballPundit - Jul 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Let’s just start calling this an Eric Gordon situation. I’ll never understand why restricted free agents sign long deals with other teams unless they’re really just leveraging their contract situation in the current city. Because if you really want to leave then you’re taking a huge gamble with your career. Have fun spending the next several years in a city you just publicly denounced.

2. muskyhunter2542 - Jul 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I live in Milwaukee. I love Milwaukee. But its hard for me to believe that someone actually wants to be here when the franchise is the joke of all sports.

• Great Caesar's Ghost - Jul 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Was just going to say something similar. Someone who chooses Milwaukee? Must be the new coach – which is somewhat reassuring.

• ProBasketballPundit - Jul 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Maybe Jeff Teague really likes riding Harleys will a hunk of cheese in one hand and a Miller Lite in the other…

• muskyhunter2542 - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Maybe!!!

• mvp43 - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I live in the area and love it as well. I don’t think Teague is enamored with the city as much as the fact that he’s familiar with Drew and would love to stick it to Atlanta……… which is actually a good incentive. He’s a decent player marginally better than Jennings at least defensively. This team badly needs Kohl out of the picture.

• muskyhunter2542 - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM

They really do. The league has passed Kohl by years ago. I respect that he wants to make sure that the franchise is going to remain in Milwaukee. However, he needs to actively find a buyer soon. Before all interest is dried up.

• imlightsout - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I don’t understand why people think the bucks are that bad. They’ve made 26 playoff appearances been to two MBA finals and have one championship. That’s better than half the teams in the nba. The bucks are far from the joke of all sports. They’re actually a pretty decent franchise.

3. wwttww - Jul 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Get this guy outta Georgia and fast. Teague peaked 3 years ago vs DRose in the 2nd round….Schröder is the future.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Yup. Schroder R.O.Y. 2014. Highest pick ever to be so.

• realitystrike - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Get real. Teague has gotten steadily better the last two years. Atlanta is stupid to let him go.

4. unxpexted1 - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The fact he wants to leave ATL for MIL is really an indictment against this Atlanta franchise.

5. roanboon - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I remember players like Ray Allen and Desmond Mason being disappointed when they were shipped out of Milwaukee, and it’s bigger than Atlanta in terms of population.

• muskyhunter2542 - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Your right about that. Ray Allen was hearbroken when he was traded. That was the worst trade in the history of the franchise if not the NBA.
      However last years trade to Orlando wasnt too far behind.

• realitystrike - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I don’t know about the city limits, but I’ve been to both Milwaukee and Atlanta and Atlanta is about three times the size of Milwaukee.

6. notunbelievable - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM

As a Bucks fan, I like Teague as a player and I especially like his comments about wanting to be in Milwaukee. The Bucks situation is looking up for the next 4-5 years. Young big men with Sanders and Henson, maybe a kid who develops into a premier player in a few years in Antetokounmpo, and a solid young PG in Teague. All in all, a good off-season for the Bucks.

7. kb2408 - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Players simply don’t want to play for the Hawks. Well, other than Horford and I don’t even know if he still wants to be there. Georgia is a beautiful state but not exactly a hotbed for the NBA. The Hawks could’ve had a lineup featuring Dwight Coward, Josh, CP3 &Teague but none of them wanted to play there.

8. gpatrick15 - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Hawks finally get a decent point guard after years of ineptitude following the Chris Paul debacle, and they let him sit too long and may let another team get the scoop on them. He’s improved every year since he’s been there. Sure he may not be the next Chris Paul but he’s certainly serviceable and I doubt this Schroeder kid will be an immediate upgrade. I say they should match it, but it shouldn’t have gotten this far anyway.

• realitystrike - Jul 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

They’re stupid if they let Teague go.

9. imlightsout - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Milwaukee is an extremely nice city. It was named the most underrated city in the USA. It’s a little bit smaller than Boston so it’s a pretty big city as well. It does get extremely cold in the winter so that drives away some people, but I understand why somebody would be excited to play there. I’ve really enjoyed my visits to Milwaukee.

10. eddielee40 - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Been a Bucks fan my entire life and I’m from and live in Chicago. The day Herb Kohl gets lost, is the day I throw a huge party.

11. skinsfanwill - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Atlanta is a football town. I’m blaming the guys charged with developing players. Every guy they draft does not get any better over the years. Teague didn’t get any better either. He played more minutes this year so it appeared like it. All their draft picks leave with the same game they came in the door with. Too much time in the strip clubs and partying rather than working in their games.

• realitystrike - Jul 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Teague improved greatly over the last two years. He’s on his way up.

12. goldenstateofmind7 - Jul 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Jeff Teague brings nothing to the roster, just more guard play and athletic bigs with no post moves. Milwaukee needs a franchise player and jeff teague is not a franchise player.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches