Jul 12, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
Mark Price is one of those NBA players where the generation coming into the league now says, “What? Coach played 12 years in the league? Get out of here!”
But Price did play a dozen years mostly because he was smart using the pick-and-roll, and because he had a sweet shooting stroke — a career 40.2 percent from three and 90.4 percent from the free throw line.
Now Price is the Bobcats assistant coach given the task of fixing Michael Kidd-Gilchrist’s jump shot. He’s in Las Vegas doing that right now, and working on Kemba Walker’s pick-and-roll decisions as well, according to the Charlotte Observer.
“He’s been through it. I know I have the opportunity to learn from him,’’ Walker said of Price. “We were talking about trying to get guys off-balance – going up with the floater rather than (always) going all the way to the basket….”
The challenge with Kidd-Gilchrist is more fundamental. He arrived in the NBA with a jump shot loaded with flaws: Sidespin off his wrist, a release after the top of his jump. Kidd-Gilchrist attempted nine 3-pointers last season, making two. An effective NBA small forward needs to be a better shooter.
“His wrist and his elbow is his biggest thing right now. But he’s never been taught good footwork and balance,’’ said Price. “Most people believe shooting starts from the waist up and I’m a believer it starts with the feet. If you don’t start right, it’s hard to finish right.’’
Price’s job with MKG is not a remodel, it’s a complete demolition and rebuild. Top to bottom. And that takes time to become smooth, more than just one summer.
But we’ll start to see at Summer League if there is improvement for both of them. Charlotte can be in this for the long play — they aren’t going to be good next season, they just need keep improving and adding talent to the roster. Walker and Kidd-Gilchrist can be part of that future if they come out of this process better players on the other side. If they take what Price said to heart.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 62
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13