Austin Rivers shines in Summer League opener for the Pelicans

Jul 12, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT

Knicks Pelicans Basketball AP

LAS VEGAS — Austin Rivers hasn’t played in an NBA basketball game since March 4, after suffering a broken hand injury that ended his season.

You wouldn’t have known it in his first game with the Pelicans at the Las Vegas Summer League opener on Friday, as Rivers finished with 24 points, seven rebounds, and six assists in helping his team to a win over the Summer version of the New York Knicks.

It was far from a great rookie campaign for Rivers, who was the 10th overall pick in last summer’s draft. But he was finally starting to put together some solid performances, just as the injury set him back. He picked up where he left off in this one, showing an ability to run the offense, find his teammates, and score from both inside and out.

Rivers was just excited to finally get back onto the court in a game situation.

“It feels good just to play a game,” he said. “I haven’t played in so long since I got hurt. It was kind of a blessing in disguise. I got to work on my left, got to watch a lot of film, and see my weaknesses and how I need to change speeds instead of going 100 miles per hour. And it kind of showed today.”

As good as Rivers looked in his first outing back, and even if he continues to play this well, he’ll be hard-pressed to see many minutes in what’s become a crowded backcourt in New Orleans. The team made a draft night trade to acquire All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday from the Sixers, and went out and signed Tyreke Evans to a four-year deal in free agency. And, Eric Gordon is still on the roster.

But none of that seems to bother Rivers, at least on the surface.

“It doesn’t intimidate me at all,” Rivers said of the new roster additions. “At the end of the day I’ve just got to go out there and work. If I’m there and there are a lot of guards there, then that means I’ve got to work even harder. I love the city of New Orleans, and I know we’re just trying to get better. There are still things that can happen with our team, so who knows? My whole focus is to keep working and show up to training camp ready to go.”

Rivers will continue to focus on developing his game and attempting to create a problem for his coaches when they’re looking to divide the minutes up this season; his Summer League performance was an indication that he could earn playing time at either of the guard positions.

“You saw today that I can do both,” Rivers said, when asked if he’s more comfortable playing the point or the two-guard position.  “I really can do both. I’m a scorer but I can play the point and get people open. With Jrue there, he’s going to be the dominant point, so [this season] it’ll be a lot of [shooting guard]. But I can get extra minutes playing backup point for him, and that’s what my goal is right now.”

“I’m not really worried about who’s there,” Rivers said. “I’ve just got to show up to training camp ready to go — I expect to work and I expect to play.”

Latest Posts
  1. LeBron’s 30-point performance leads Cavaliers to hard-fought Game 2 win over Celtics

Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Two Getty Images

LeBron had 30, Kyrie Irving added 26 to give Cleveland the 2-0 lead in the series.

2. Chandler Parsons out for Game 2, maybe rest of Rockets series

Apr 21, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT

Devin Harris, Chandler Parsons, Trevor Ariza AP

Devin Harris also out Game 2 for Mavericks

3. PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul

Apr 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Expect to see a lot more Kawhi Leonard (and Danny Green) on Paul from the start.

4. Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault

Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.

5. Hawks’ Al Horford says he will play in Game 2 despite finger injury

Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT

Al Horford AP

Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.

6. Brilliant spoof: Zach Randolph’s deep thoughts on cats, shirts, more

Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.

7. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

8. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

9. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2