Andray Blatche says he and Kevin Garnett are “cool now”

Jul 12, 2013, 2:32 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Brooklyn Nets - Game One Getty Images

Andray Blatche and Kevin Garnett have gone back and forth at each other for a few years now — going back to a trash talk filled game in 2010. Since then they have traded elbows on the court and barbs off it through the media.

Now, they are teammates in Brooklyn.

The Nets re-signed Blatche to be a backup big after it brought in Kevin Garnett via a trade with the Celtics. So how is this relationship going to go in the Brooklyn locker room?

Just fine, Blatche told the New York Daily News.

“I can say Kevin, he surprised me. We were playing one game against each other, I believe it was last year, in Brooklyn. I was playing against him and he said, ‘Hey man, just keep your head up and keep fighting,’” Blatche said on Thursday, the same day he re-signed with the Nets on a two-year deal worth $2.8 million. “When he said that, it caught me off-guard, because me and him have our history, and I said, ‘All right, I guess we’re cool now.”

“I took that in, and ever since then I know everything is over with.”

It’s part of today’s NBA where players move around more than they did a few decades ago — hatchets get buried quickly. And not in the other guy’s back.

Blatche will back up Garnett some, although primarily he will be behind Brook Lopez while Andrei Kirilenko and Reggie Evans will be behind KG. Mason Plumlee will hope to see the court.

That’s a pretty darn good front line in Brooklyn.

1. badintent - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Andray better worry about getting minutes , not about KG. Reggie is a beast on the boards. Andray could learn a lot from both KG and Reggie about bringing it hard every night.Andray it’s a big boy game now. Ball don’t lie

• sellahh - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Blatche had a PER of over 21 last season, I say he’s gonna be fine. Evans gobbles up rebounds and that’s it, he’s Joel Anthonyesque on offence and bad on D.
      I’m really surprised Blatche resigned for only 2.8mln/2 years though.

• Kevin S. - Jul 12, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Anything over the minimum would have been offset from his salary from the Wizards. I think if he had signed for $3.4 million instead of $1.4 million he’d only have gotten $1 million more, and by signing for the minimum he let the Nets get AK-47.

• bishop2288 - Jul 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

wow, how stupid you are. Blatche is better than both

2. dezglobal - Jul 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Awwww That’s sweet. Who gives a crap?

3. uscoach - Jul 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Now that Kevin and Blatche are on the same team, the coolness will cease….not sure Kevin will like the way Blatche loafs.

4. themike31 - Jul 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM

All I can think of is a Pulp Fiction-era Samuel L. Jackson screaming “I said Blatche be cool!”

5. bougin89 - Jul 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Nets are old, but deep. If Kidd can figure out the correct rotations to keep these guys fresh they could surprise some people. Too many if’s right now for me though.

6. giantssb42champs - Jul 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Andre shouldn’t pick fights with senior citizens.

7. thirdistheworrd - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM

If you were still wondering whether KG is getting too old, here’s your proof. Being “cool” with this piece of garbage is one of the first signs of senility. Feel terrible for Kevin.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches