Jul 11, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
The Utah Jazz did not acquire Rudy Gobert on draft day because of his offense. The Frenchman is 7’1″ with a 7’9″wingspan — he alters and blocks just about every shot in the paint when he is out there. He’s raw, he needs to add some muscle.
But he does have a 9’7″ standing reach so when he gets the offensive rebound near the bucket and wants to score, nobody is going to stop him. Certainly not some Pacer Summer League player.
Gobert has been playing on a sore foot that is going to require some kind of operation after the season. The first reports are vague, and vague and injuries are scary together. His agent came out and said it was just an ingrown toenail, which nobody really bought either. Bill Oram at the Salt Lake Tribune got some better information
Rudy Gobert described his surgery as different from an ingrown toenail. Says his shoes were too short. Recovery from surgery 2-3 weeks.—
Bill Oram (@tribjazz) July 11, 2013
So Gobert will be ready for training camp. He’s a project, but one that has shown promise so far in Summer League.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 17
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 65
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 16
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14