Jul 11, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
It’s a two-year contract worth $3.2 million that will see Turiaf added as big man insurance to a roster that already includes Gorgui Dieng and Chris Johnson at center, along with Kevin Love, Derrick Williams and Dante Cunningham at power forward. Nikola Pekovic is a restricted free agent, but most expect him to re-sign, as well.
Turiaf has played eight years in the NBA, most recently for the L.A. Clippers. He averaged just 1.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 10.8 minutes per game last season, and was mainly on the court as a defensive and rebounding presence while the starters got their rest.
The signing comes on the heels of Andrei Kirilenko agreeing to join the Brooklyn Nets for two years at $3.1 million per season, after opting out of the final year of his deal that would have paid him $10.2 million to play for Minnesota.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18