Jul 11, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
The second that Jeff Teague signed a four-year, $32 million offer sheet with Milwaukee Bucks — something that was agreed to last night but may not have been formally signed until this morning according to some reports — he could no longer be signed and traded.
So the Hawks have moved on, past Ellis and Jennings, to the question of whether to match the offer or not, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Source: ATL will not do sign-&-trade for Monta Ellis or Brandon Jennings. ATL will either match Bucks' offer to Jeff Teague or let him walk—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 11, 2013
If the Hawks let him walk they could still land Jennings or Ellis via free agency. Jennings is a restricted free agent (meaning the Bucks could match an offer, although if they get Teague it is unlikely). Ellis has fired his agent as a result of his not finding a good landing spot on the open market (remember he turned down three years, $36 million from the Bucks to see what the market would offer him, and it’s not been pretty.
If I were the Hawks I would match. Jennings is tempting because he is so much more athletic than Teague, but he doesn’t finish well when he does get in the lane, he settles for too many bad shots, and he is a disinterested defender. Teague can be unspectacular but he makes better decisions, assisted on a higher percentage of his teammates shots, and Teague is more effective on the defensive end.
We’ll see what the Hawks will do.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 0
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 12
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5