Jul 11, 2013, 4:24 PM EST
The second that Jeff Teague signed a four-year, $32 million offer sheet with Milwaukee Bucks — something that was agreed to last night but may not have been formally signed until this morning according to some reports — he could no longer be signed and traded.
So the Hawks have moved on, past Ellis and Jennings, to the question of whether to match the offer or not, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Source: ATL will not do sign-&-trade for Monta Ellis or Brandon Jennings. ATL will either match Bucks' offer to Jeff Teague or let him walk—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 11, 2013
If the Hawks let him walk they could still land Jennings or Ellis via free agency. Jennings is a restricted free agent (meaning the Bucks could match an offer, although if they get Teague it is unlikely). Ellis has fired his agent as a result of his not finding a good landing spot on the open market (remember he turned down three years, $36 million from the Bucks to see what the market would offer him, and it’s not been pretty.
If I were the Hawks I would match. Jennings is tempting because he is so much more athletic than Teague, but he doesn’t finish well when he does get in the lane, he settles for too many bad shots, and he is a disinterested defender. Teague can be unspectacular but he makes better decisions, assisted on a higher percentage of his teammates shots, and Teague is more effective on the defensive end.
We’ll see what the Hawks will do.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 1
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)