Kobe basically shrugs at Howard going to Houston (VIDEO)

Jul 11, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

In the video above, Kobe Bryant said that he was happy for Dwight Howard making the decision that’s best for him, even if that is going to Houston.

But the overall tone of Kobe’s comments Wednesday were a shrug. Kobe has moved on. Kobe’s attitude was essentially “he’s not one of us anymore, so I’m not paying any attention to what he says or does.”

Kobe spoke with the media outside before his annual youth summer camp in Santa Barbara about the Lakers future and his leg. Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com had a good story on it, here are some of Kobe’s highlight quotes:

“I think everybody is cut differently,” Bryant said. “[Howard] has his way of leading that he feels like would be most effective and would work for him, and obviously the way we’ve gone about it with this organization and the leaders that we’ve had — myself, Magic [Johnson] and Kareem [Abdul-Jabbar] — we’ve done it a different way.”

—-

“I was just kind of going in there and I really didn’t know what to expect, to be honest with you,” Bryant said of the Lakers’ pitch to Howard last Tuesday. “I walk in there and everybody is sitting down and everybody is quiet. I didn’t know what the hell was going on. Everybody was just really dead-ass serious. It was pretty funny to me.”

—-

“It’s progressing faster than everybody expected,” Bryant said of his recovery from the Achilles tendon surgery he underwent in April. “I should be able to be more active with conditioning in the middle of August, which is like four months after the surgery.

1. readysethike - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Kurt, are you going to post a story on how Lamar channelled his inner kanye west yesterday on papperazzi

2. paleihe - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

No shrug here. Keep it moving.

3. asimonetti88 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Watching a 30 second commercial so that I can watch a 17 second video. Nice.

• paleihe - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Download Chrome or Firefox as your browser. Then download an extension called AdBlock. You won’t see ads again.

You’re welcome.

• danielcp0303 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I doubted this at first, but I downloaded it and it works perfectly. Thanks man

• asimonetti88 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I have AdBlock at home, and yes, it is pretty great.

• ProBasketballPundit - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Shhh… don’t let Kurt hear you talk about adblock. Those ads are his lifeblood.

• Anoesis - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Thank you.

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Download “Paul’s Boutique or Licensed to ill.” Then you’ll have AdRock

• badintent - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:43 AM

have chrome, where ‘s the extension ? On Chrome or a link ? Thanks , you da man.

• paleihe - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

If the link doesn’t work, Google Chrome Web Store.
        Search for AdBlock.
        Under ‘Extensions’ click Add to Chrome

4. saint1997 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I expected some more snipes from Kobe – he has been pretty civil

• stayhigh_247 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM

@saint1997
      if Kobe took shots at Dwight for leaving, that wouldn’t look too good for future free agents they hope to sign. Besides thats Shaq’s role

• ProBasketballPundit - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Great point, stayhigh. But if I know Kobe he’s already got one in the chamber; he’ll just wait and find the perfect time to take his shot. Kobe’s notorious for his cold revenge snipes… like when he called Smush Parker the worst teammate after he was out of the league for several years.

5. loungefly74 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM

that was the perfect media comment (the clip) to make. don’t make it a big deal and move on.

the 1st quote is a hard jab at Howard…rightfully so. I think only Laker fans can truly understand what Kobe is saying there…

the 2nd quote is hilarious just picturing that meeting…

the 3rd quote is great news. can’t wait for the Mamba to strike back!

6. mauldawg - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Kobe is a jerk. Who really cares what he says. If the Lakers were smart they would trade him as quickly as they could. You Kobe lovers need to take your blinders off.

• loungefly74 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

thanks for the advice. i’ll pass it along to the rest of the laker fans and front office…

• Anoesis - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I’m sorry, I couldn’t really see your comments. I was blinded by the shine off of five O’Brien’s.

7. hwatt - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

howard didn’t even play 1 full season with kobe, so of course there’s no emotional attachment. It’s not like Phil Jackson got him 5 rings then decided to go coach Lebron.

8. dezglobal - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Can everyone move on from Howard now?

9. isujames - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Kobe know’s he won’t and wouldn’t have won anything without a top 3 big on his team, he could only wish to be half as good as the legendary MJ.

• mickdamill - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I hate Kobe but you have to be naive to not consider him one of the best players ever. There are two types of basketball fans, those who respect ALL nba talent and those who are MJ d*** riders haha.

• stayhigh_247 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM

@isujames
      are you serious? Kobe’s no slouch, his work ethic helped the Lakers to 5 rings. Until Lebron wins 5 or more, Kobe is the next best thing to MJ.

• ProBasketballPundit - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM

LeBron won’t have to win 5 to equal Kobe. I have a ton of respect for Kobe and he’s definitely top 10 all time NBA players, but he only won one MVP and two Finals MVPs. The MVP he won was more of a lifetime achievement award than recognition of a transcendent season. Just think about it, Kobe was never the best player in the league for an entire season. Well… unless you count the 35ppg season when he probably actually deserved the MVP. And as for his rings, Kobe has as many Finals MVPs as LeBron. He was the best player on two championship teams.

Yes his other 3 rings count for a lot but LeBron won’t have to win 5 to equal him. Just like Kobe wouldn’t come close to equaling Jordan even if he won another ring.

• aboogy123456 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I hate the comparisons, they both had different career paths so learn basketball and get over it. Jordan had more continuity on his team. He had phil and pippen and a stable team that was the most talented in the league, while kobe had to rebuild two or three times and deal with a lot of down years, not because of him. If kobe was in jordan’s shoes he would have won all the same years that jordan won, and possibly even another ring while jordan was playing baseball.

10. losanginsight - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I am pretty sure that Shaq, Magic, Kareem, and the rest of the Hall of Famers would have showed up if they really wanted this clown hanging around. Coward thinks that a ring is going to magically fall on his finger if he tells enough jokes.
    2014 will be the Lakers year.
    16x Champs know what they are doing. Hope the fans in H town enjoy watching missed free throws and turn overs in the post.

11. mogogo1 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

How else would Kobe respond? Howard’s left for another team. End of story. He played a grand total of one year in LA–not exactly a long-time fixture of the team–and that year was a complete disaster of coaching changes, gameplans that didn’t fit the personnel, injuries, backbiting, losing…. Kobe is so civil now because he fully expected Howard to leave. Why is anybody still acting like his departure was a huge surprise?

12. MyTeamsAllStink - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Was Kobe supposed to get emotional,slam his his fist on the table and cry?

13. boltsup - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM

“I was just kind of going in there and I really didn’t know what to expect, to be honest with you,I walk in there and everybody is sitting down and everybody is quiet. I didn’t know what the hell was going on. Everybody was just really dead-ass serious. It was pretty funny to me.”

Damn, I got a great kick out of visualizing Kobe’s facial expressions during that meeting, comical

14. blazertop - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I respect Kobe’s game, but why does he have to say anything? It’s not like Kareem bailed on Magic. DH was there 1 wasted season…. The Laker PR dept = FAIL,

15. losanginsight - Jul 12, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Kobe’s not going to hand the team over to a guy that has no heart,can’t hit free throws,and couldn’t perform in the post. Its clear that Kobe,Shaq,Magic,and Kareem didn’t want that clown hanging around. He’s Houston’s problem now. Hope the h town fans enjoy turnovers and
    hack-a-coward.