Jul 11, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
Bobcats wing Gerald Henderson has steadily improved, both offensively and defensively, since entering the NBA four years ago. Last season, he became a viable 3-point shooter – making 33 percent of his 1.5 attempts beyond the arc per game, both career highs – and that should boost his stock as a free agent in a league increasingly reliant on outside shooting.
But even if teams view Henderson more favorably, that hasn’t resulted in much reported interest – from Charlotte or other teams. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
Henderson has a $4,531,459 qualifying offer on the table, and like other restricted free agents on the market, his options are dwindling.
I’m not really sure how a sign-and-trade will get Henderson a much bigger offer or the Bobcats much return. He’s a nice player to have on your team, but I’m not sure anyone will offer a more-lucrative contract than Charlotte has proposed, which seems necessary to get Henderson on board with the transaction, and give up an asset to complete the trade. And if the sign-and-trade partner offers more than the Bobcats are willing, why not just offer Henderson a qualifying offer outright without giving up an asset to complete the trade?
I’d love to see Henderson outside Charlotte, where he’s forced to play as play as a key scorer due to a lack of talent around him. Henderson might thrive next to stars, who would allow him to specialize as a shooter and defender, two of his strengths.
But, for now, the Bobcats hold the cards.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 32
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 32
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18