Jul 11, 2013, 12:41 AM EST
Bobcats wing Gerald Henderson has steadily improved, both offensively and defensively, since entering the NBA four years ago. Last season, he became a viable 3-point shooter – making 33 percent of his 1.5 attempts beyond the arc per game, both career highs – and that should boost his stock as a free agent in a league increasingly reliant on outside shooting.
But even if teams view Henderson more favorably, that hasn’t resulted in much reported interest – from Charlotte or other teams. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
After reaching an impasse with RFA Gerald Henderson, Charlotte's exploring sign-and-trade possibilities with multiple teams, sources tell Y!—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 11, 2013
Henderson has a $4,531,459 qualifying offer on the table, and like other restricted free agents on the market, his options are dwindling.
I’m not really sure how a sign-and-trade will get Henderson a much bigger offer or the Bobcats much return. He’s a nice player to have on your team, but I’m not sure anyone will offer a more-lucrative contract than Charlotte has proposed, which seems necessary to get Henderson on board with the transaction, and give up an asset to complete the trade. And if the sign-and-trade partner offers more than the Bobcats are willing, why not just offer Henderson a qualifying offer outright without giving up an asset to complete the trade?
I’d love to see Henderson outside Charlotte, where he’s forced to play as play as a key scorer due to a lack of talent around him. Henderson might thrive next to stars, who would allow him to specialize as a shooter and defender, two of his strengths.
But, for now, the Bobcats hold the cards.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)