Jul 11, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
Bobcats wing Gerald Henderson has steadily improved, both offensively and defensively, since entering the NBA four years ago. Last season, he became a viable 3-point shooter – making 33 percent of his 1.5 attempts beyond the arc per game, both career highs – and that should boost his stock as a free agent in a league increasingly reliant on outside shooting.
But even if teams view Henderson more favorably, that hasn’t resulted in much reported interest – from Charlotte or other teams. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
After reaching an impasse with RFA Gerald Henderson, Charlotte's exploring sign-and-trade possibilities with multiple teams, sources tell Y!—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 11, 2013
Henderson has a $4,531,459 qualifying offer on the table, and like other restricted free agents on the market, his options are dwindling.
I’m not really sure how a sign-and-trade will get Henderson a much bigger offer or the Bobcats much return. He’s a nice player to have on your team, but I’m not sure anyone will offer a more-lucrative contract than Charlotte has proposed, which seems necessary to get Henderson on board with the transaction, and give up an asset to complete the trade. And if the sign-and-trade partner offers more than the Bobcats are willing, why not just offer Henderson a qualifying offer outright without giving up an asset to complete the trade?
I’d love to see Henderson outside Charlotte, where he’s forced to play as play as a key scorer due to a lack of talent around him. Henderson might thrive next to stars, who would allow him to specialize as a shooter and defender, two of his strengths.
But, for now, the Bobcats hold the cards.
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 0
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 19
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19