Jul 11, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
Bobcats wing Gerald Henderson has steadily improved, both offensively and defensively, since entering the NBA four years ago. Last season, he became a viable 3-point shooter – making 33 percent of his 1.5 attempts beyond the arc per game, both career highs – and that should boost his stock as a free agent in a league increasingly reliant on outside shooting.
But even if teams view Henderson more favorably, that hasn’t resulted in much reported interest – from Charlotte or other teams. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
Henderson has a $4,531,459 qualifying offer on the table, and like other restricted free agents on the market, his options are dwindling.
I’m not really sure how a sign-and-trade will get Henderson a much bigger offer or the Bobcats much return. He’s a nice player to have on your team, but I’m not sure anyone will offer a more-lucrative contract than Charlotte has proposed, which seems necessary to get Henderson on board with the transaction, and give up an asset to complete the trade. And if the sign-and-trade partner offers more than the Bobcats are willing, why not just offer Henderson a qualifying offer outright without giving up an asset to complete the trade?
I’d love to see Henderson outside Charlotte, where he’s forced to play as play as a key scorer due to a lack of talent around him. Henderson might thrive next to stars, who would allow him to specialize as a shooter and defender, two of his strengths.
But, for now, the Bobcats hold the cards.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6