Jul 10, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Pekovic can score efficiently in the post (he scored 16.3 points a game on 52 percent shooting last year), is good on the pick and roll, grabs rebounds and on defense is a big body and a paint protector. Pekovic does the dirty work.
Which is why the Timberwolves are ready to pay to keep him, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
Minnesota, Nikola Pekovic getting closer on a four-year, $50 million contract extension, league sources tell Y! Sports.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 10, 2013
That price is about the going rate for a quality NBA big man.
Minnesota and new GM Flip Saunders need to improve their relationship with Kevin Love and show him they can build a winner around him so he doesn’t opt out and bolt in the summer of 2015. So far they are doing that — Saunders has a much better relationship with Love than David Kahn did, and with additions such as Kevin Martin and Corey Brewer, the Timberwolves will be a playoff team next season if they stay healthy.
The retention of Pekovic fits right in line with all of that.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 0
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 2
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)