Jul 10, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Minnesota is going to have one interesting team next season — a healthy Ricky Rubio at the point, Kevin Martin to space the floor on the wing, a healthy Kevin Love scoring points, Chase Budinger running on the break. There is a lot to like (especially if/when the re-sign Nikola Pekovic).
And they may have just gotten even more interesting.
They are on the verge of landing swingman Corey Brewer, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Brewer spent the first three-and-a-half seasons of his career in Minnesota before he was traded as part of the three-team deal that sent Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks. Brewer ended up in Denver, where he continued to play last season.
He would bring a lot better defense to the wing position so he will get minutes, plus he is athletic and good in transition. But he is not a good outside shooter — he improved to 29.6 percent from three last year. Brewer shot just 33 percent on spot up opportunities last season (according to Synergy Sports).
Still, at a league average salary this is a guy who brings depth and a needed skill set to the Timberwolves. Which is becoming an interesting team.
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 55
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 6
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 72
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19