Jul 10, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
Minnesota is going to have one interesting team next season — a healthy Ricky Rubio at the point, Kevin Martin to space the floor on the wing, a healthy Kevin Love scoring points, Chase Budinger running on the break. There is a lot to like (especially if/when the re-sign Nikola Pekovic).
And they may have just gotten even more interesting.
They are on the verge of landing swingman Corey Brewer, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Brewer spent the first three-and-a-half seasons of his career in Minnesota before he was traded as part of the three-team deal that sent Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks. Brewer ended up in Denver, where he continued to play last season.
He would bring a lot better defense to the wing position so he will get minutes, plus he is athletic and good in transition. But he is not a good outside shooter — he improved to 29.6 percent from three last year. Brewer shot just 33 percent on spot up opportunities last season (according to Synergy Sports).
Still, at a league average salary this is a guy who brings depth and a needed skill set to the Timberwolves. Which is becoming an interesting team.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13