Jul 10, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Minnesota is going to have one interesting team next season — a healthy Ricky Rubio at the point, Kevin Martin to space the floor on the wing, a healthy Kevin Love scoring points, Chase Budinger running on the break. There is a lot to like (especially if/when the re-sign Nikola Pekovic).
And they may have just gotten even more interesting.
They are on the verge of landing swingman Corey Brewer, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Brewer spent the first three-and-a-half seasons of his career in Minnesota before he was traded as part of the three-team deal that sent Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks. Brewer ended up in Denver, where he continued to play last season.
He would bring a lot better defense to the wing position so he will get minutes, plus he is athletic and good in transition. But he is not a good outside shooter — he improved to 29.6 percent from three last year. Brewer shot just 33 percent on spot up opportunities last season (according to Synergy Sports).
Still, at a league average salary this is a guy who brings depth and a needed skill set to the Timberwolves. Which is becoming an interesting team.
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 1
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 55
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 62
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 21
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 40
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30