Jul 10, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
Wednesday began with such promise in Dallas, but ultimately ended in some level of disappointment.
The Mavericks began the day meeting with free agent big man Andrew Bynum. The club had its medical staff do some evaluations, and there was a lunch with Bynum’s agent and team executives where the early stages of contract negotiations had begun to be initiated.
Whether due to advice from the team’s doctors or an unwillingness to match the offer on the table from Cleveland in terms of either guaranteed money or total compensation, Dallas lost out on the chase for Bynum, who had decided to sign with the Cavaliers before the day was finished.
With limited options left available on the market at the center position, Dallas has now turned its attention to journeyman free agent Samuel Dalembert.
ESPN.com’s Marc Stein reports that Dalembert will be the Mavs’ primary target after their pursuit of Andrew Bynum fizzled. A source told ESPN’s Chris Broussard that Bynum decided to sign with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
There simply aren’t many other quality alternatives in free agency to fill the Mavs’ massive void at center, considering that it’s pretty much a given that restricted free agent Nikola Pekovic will return to Minnesota.
It’s an underwhelming option, but it might be all the Mavericks have left if they’re determined to go with a veteran to fill this role. Dallas began the summer as one of five teams that entered the Dwight Howard sweepstakes, but were eliminated by Howard fairly early in the process.
Dalembert has played for four different teams the last four seasons, and averaged 6.7 points, 5.9 rebounds, and 1.1 blocked shots in 16.3 minutes per game for the Bucks most recently — but appeared in just 47 contests for them last season.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that Dalembert will meet with the Mavericks Thursday in Dallas.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6