Jul 10, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
Rudy Gobert has done at Summer League in Orlando exactly what the Jazz hoped he would do when they traded for the No. 27 pick — be a defensive presence in the paint.
Gobert is 7’1” with a 7’9” wingspan and a standing reach of 9’7” — he is very hard to shoot over and around. The rest of his game needs polish, but you can’t teach that kind of length and it is effective at blocking and altering shots.
But the Jazz rookie is not going to gain any polish playing for the French national team this summer at Eurobasket because he is going to have foot surgery after Summer League, the French national team coach told French sports publication L’Equipe (via Hoopshype and Sportando).
His agent later said that this is an ingrown toenail You should take an agent’s word with a grain of salt. but the injury is something he is playing through so it is not serious. The French coach told the paper that this was a known situation, so it is likely the Jazz knew about it as well.
We don’t have any timetable for his return yet, but it seems unlikely he will miss any of Training Camp or the regular season.
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 0
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 3
- PBT Extra: Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan matchup key part of Clippers vs. Rockets 2
- Stephen Curry wins MVP with 100 of 130 first-place votes, but James Harden closest second place in four years 21
- PBT Second Round Playoff Preview: Los Angeles Clippers vs. Houston Rockets 10