Jul 10, 2013, 10:31 AM EST
Rudy Gobert has done at Summer League in Orlando exactly what the Jazz hoped he would do when they traded for the No. 27 pick — be a defensive presence in the paint.
Gobert is 7’1” with a 7’9” wingspan and a standing reach of 9’7” — he is very hard to shoot over and around. The rest of his game needs polish, but you can’t teach that kind of length and it is effective at blocking and altering shots.
But the Jazz rookie is not going to gain any polish playing for the French national team this summer at Eurobasket because he is going to have foot surgery after Summer League, the French national team coach told French sports publication L’Equipe (via Hoopshype and Sportando).
His agent later said that this is an ingrown toenail You should take an agent’s word with a grain of salt. but the injury is something he is playing through so it is not serious. The French coach told the paper that this was a known situation, so it is likely the Jazz knew about it as well.
We don’t have any timetable for his return yet, but it seems unlikely he will miss any of Training Camp or the regular season.
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 6
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 1
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 15
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 23
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 19