Jul 10, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
Rudy Gobert has done at Summer League in Orlando exactly what the Jazz hoped he would do when they traded for the No. 27 pick — be a defensive presence in the paint.
Gobert is 7’1” with a 7’9” wingspan and a standing reach of 9’7” — he is very hard to shoot over and around. The rest of his game needs polish, but you can’t teach that kind of length and it is effective at blocking and altering shots.
But the Jazz rookie is not going to gain any polish playing for the French national team this summer at Eurobasket because he is going to have foot surgery after Summer League, the French national team coach told French sports publication L’Equipe (via Hoopshype and Sportando).
His agent later said that this is an ingrown toenail You should take an agent’s word with a grain of salt. but the injury is something he is playing through so it is not serious. The French coach told the paper that this was a known situation, so it is likely the Jazz knew about it as well.
We don’t have any timetable for his return yet, but it seems unlikely he will miss any of Training Camp or the regular season.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6