Jul 10, 2013, 12:06 PM EST
With Robin Lopez gone the Pelicans were looking for a little more size up front. They found it.
The Pelicans have reached an agreement to bring in backup center Greg Stiemsma, his agent told multiple media members on Wednesday. It is a one-year deal worth $2.7 million, according to Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
Stiemsma is a 6’11” traditional center who had a good rookie season with Boston a couple years ago and spent last season in Minnesota. His greatest skill is as a shot blocker, something he can sometimes chase to the point of picking up too many fouls. Stiemsma also is a solid rebounder.
His offensive game is limited and he’s best when he lets the chances fall to him. He shot 54 percent his rookie year in Boston but that fell to 45.7 percent last season in Minnesota.
There is room to get significant minutes along the Pelicans front line behind or playing next to Anthony Davis, if Stiemsma can earn them.
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 2
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 7
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 27
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- No stars, no problem: Spurs reserves too much for Warriors in 104-102 win 11
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (58)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)