Jul 10, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
With Robin Lopez gone the Pelicans were looking for a little more size up front. They found it.
The Pelicans have reached an agreement to bring in backup center Greg Stiemsma, his agent told multiple media members on Wednesday. It is a one-year deal worth $2.7 million, according to Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
Stiemsma is a 6’11” traditional center who had a good rookie season with Boston a couple years ago and spent last season in Minnesota. His greatest skill is as a shot blocker, something he can sometimes chase to the point of picking up too many fouls. Stiemsma also is a solid rebounder.
His offensive game is limited and he’s best when he lets the chances fall to him. He shot 54 percent his rookie year in Boston but that fell to 45.7 percent last season in Minnesota.
There is room to get significant minutes along the Pelicans front line behind or playing next to Anthony Davis, if Stiemsma can earn them.
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 10
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 6
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 52
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 29
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 21