Jul 10, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
With Robin Lopez gone the Pelicans were looking for a little more size up front. They found it.
The Pelicans have reached an agreement to bring in backup center Greg Stiemsma, his agent told multiple media members on Wednesday. It is a one-year deal worth $2.7 million, according to Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
Stiemsma is a 6’11” traditional center who had a good rookie season with Boston a couple years ago and spent last season in Minnesota. His greatest skill is as a shot blocker, something he can sometimes chase to the point of picking up too many fouls. Stiemsma also is a solid rebounder.
His offensive game is limited and he’s best when he lets the chances fall to him. He shot 54 percent his rookie year in Boston but that fell to 45.7 percent last season in Minnesota.
There is room to get significant minutes along the Pelicans front line behind or playing next to Anthony Davis, if Stiemsma can earn them.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18