Monta Ellis fires his agent, because that was the problem

Jul 10, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT

Monta Ellis AP

Monta Ellis was the leading candidate for the “rude awakening to my value around the league” award from this free agency period. (His former backcourt mate Brandon Jennings was the other frontrunner.)

Ellis reportedly turned down a three-year, $36 million extension from the Bucks and the rest of us knew he would regret that (he thought he could get more years and eight figures a year). The market for Ellis has been pretty dry. The Hawks are interested but not with a big offer, the same from the Mavericks but even less so. The Knicks and Lakers reportedly had interest but neither can offer more than the mini midlevel of $3.2 million (the Lakers used theirs on Chris Kaman now) and more likely were offering veteran minimum deals.

So Ellis has blamed his agent, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN.

Monta Ellis, one of the premier players remaining on the free agent market, parted ways with his longtime agent, Jeff Fried, on Wednesday.

Ellis, who opted out of the final year of a six-year, $66 million deal, is frustrated that he has yet to receive a high-paying contract offer. Industry sources expect him to sign with agent Dan Fegan.

It wasn’t Fried. Ellis is a volume shooter in a league that more and more values efficiency. Ellis can dish the rock but he is at best a disinterested defender. He can get you points off a lot of contested shots — he averaged 19.2 points and 6 assists a game last year — but a lot of new era GMs shy away from guys like that.

Also, welcome to the new CBA, with its much stiffer tax structure. Teams are far more cautious with their spending.

Somebody will pick up Ellis; he has value on a team. Just not as much as he thought he had.

1. pl4tinum514 - Jul 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I love it when this kind of thing happens. When someone offers you 12 million a year to play a game you need to sign that sh–. Sucker!

• bougin89 - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Bucks fan here…SO happy he passed.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I get the feeling that he didn’t want to play in Milwaukee and that is
      why he turned down the extension, then he saw what happened
      and he realized he cost himself a few dollars.

• lhollis74 - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Agents get 10% of earnings, and occasionally they get greedy themselves and advise/convince clients to turn down reasonable offers looking to get a bigger piece of pie themselves. Why wouldn’t you fire someone who gambles with your money and loses? I sure as hell would! Especially if he convinced me to turn down money in hand. Ask yourself, who would you trust to make decisions like that when they stand to gain a few hundred thousand dollars or more of your back?

• Kurt Helin - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Agents get far less than 10 percent on contracts, more like 4-5 percent.

• fatediesel - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM

The most an agent is allowed to make on an NBA contract is 4%, although for endorsements agents typically make 10-20%.

2. rushbacker - Jul 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Hilarious. I can’t wait to see this azzclown chucker sign somewhere for about a quarter of what he thought he was worth. . . just as long as it’s not with my Nugs.

3. staff2cj - Jul 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Wow! dumber than I thought (or dumber than Latrell Sprewell)

• 00maltliquor - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Hey, Ellis has to feed his family….

4. asimonetti88 - Jul 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Fried isn’t going to be able to get Ellis a better offer than the one he turned down, neither will anyone else. But if Fried advised Ellis to turn down the offer because he thought he could find another one, then I think you have to get rid of him, right?

• ProBasketballPundit - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Yes exactly. I assume his agent advised him to opt out of his deal and seek a longer deal but the market just wasn’t there for him. And that part should have been predictable. Ellis is greatly overpaid at $11 and should have taken that last year or the 3-year extension.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM

makes sense, are you a agent?

• asimonetti88 - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM

No, but I’ll be your agent if you want! I’ll get you better than 3 years, $36 million- I promise!

5. htownred34 - Jul 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

He thinks he’s valuable, but he shouldn’t be paid more than J.R Smith, even still a team like Sac will probably end up signing him to a bad contract.

6. onbucky96 - Jul 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Karam Monte, pure Karma.

7. sportsfan18 - Jul 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I KNOW agents can’t say these types of things to players who leave them in situations like this because they want and need future players to represent. But I would have loved to be able to tell Monta this when he informed me he was letting me go.

Uh, Monta, I didn’t shoot .287% from 3 pt range last year.

Uh, Monta, I didn’t shoot .308% from 3 pt range the year before last.

Uh, Monta, I didn’t shoot .416% from the field last year… hey, did you really shoot that crappy last year? Why yes you did. Damn, I’m actually glad I’m no longer representing you. It’s usually hard to get away from a crappy player and you saved me the trouble by firing me.

Uh, Monta, I didn’t have a 16.2 PER last yr (a 15 PER is average, 20 plus is all-star). The average NBA salary is like $5 million and I got you $12 million per year when you’re just a tad better than average. I’ve done MORE for you that you’ve done for yourself Monta. Your career PER is only 16.8

Monta, your career 3 pt shooting percentage is only .318%. Do you realize just how bad that is Monta? You’d throw up if I began telling you of all the “incredible” players who have a better career 3 pt percentage than you. My son’s 6th grade basketball team all shoot better from 3 pt range than you do Monta.

• dohoangquan35 - Jul 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM

hell, i shot 3 pointer better than him in high school, and im just a catch-and-shoot player

• reesesteel23 - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM

More like a couch-and-poot player

• elcapitanfiscal - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Yep..monta thinks he’s much better than he really is

• bcookson777 - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM

He can’t even make 2′s forget about 3′s i watched him regularly as Bucks fan. Thanks monta for turning the offer down. We need players not narcissistic. You will if you haven’t found out it’s you Monta not your agent. you aren’t that good.

8. silverandblackfan77 - Jul 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Like the article said efficiency is much more import now than how much you score so guys like Ellis and Rudy Gay are going the way of the dinosaur they still have value just as a sixth man or bench scorer

9. mickdamill - Jul 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM

To me $12 million a year indicates you are an elite PG in the NBA and there are maybe 5 other PG’s who are even in the same ballpark as that, which he definitely does not even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those guys. I guess this guy needs as much money as possible in case he experiences another low speed moped crash.

10. herkulease - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Why do you assume that Ellis fired his agent because lack of or low offers.

Perhaps its was the agent who told him to turn down that 3 year 36 million extension and hit the free market. Ellis is now pissed that his agent misjudged the market and Ellis lost 47 million. (11 million from final year, plus that 36 million)

Ellis isn’t the only one is after a bigger contract, but also the agent. Bigger contract, bigger commission.

11. fm31970 - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

“Ellis reportedly turned down a three-year, $36 million extension from the Bucks ”

Reportedly. IIRC there was rumored to be a two year offer on the table from the Bucks, too, but I don’t think either was ever confirmed?

Either way, he opted out of $11M this coming season- oops. He could’ve really boosted his value if he stayed and the Bucks let Jennings walk, but too late now. If I’m Jennings or his agent I am working up a contract with the Bucks right now, and swallowing my pride.

• bougin89 - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I heard it was a 2 year 25 million dollar extension but with that offer he had to accept his 1 year, 11 million dollar player option effectively making it a 3 yr 36 million dollar offer. Once he opted out I think the Bucks made a last ditch effort to resign him but I didn’t see any confirmed numbers or anything. I’m glad he’s gone. I hope Jennings is the next to go. Tank and rebuild is what needs to happen. Too bad Herb Kohl probably can’t sell that to the people that will(or won’t) get him a new arena in Milwaukee.

• fm31970 - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Ah, that makes sense.

The Bucks do have some pieces (Henson and Sanders) in place, but they need much more. I’d rather see them try some different players than keep the status quo, especially when it comes to Jennings.

As for a new arena, not gonna happen. Five counties are still paying for Miller Park….

12. Anoesis - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM

“Ellis reportedly turned down a three-year, $36 million extension from the Bucks and the rest of us knew he would regret that (he thought he could get more years and eight figures a year).”

Since when is 12,000,000 not eight figures?

• bougin89 - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I think Kurt meant Ellis was really looking for a 4 year deal worth 42-48 million. Yes, still eight figures a year but he wanted more money guaranteed overall. He was never going to get that from anyone, even from an overpaying Bucks team.

• Kurt Helin - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Four years, $40 mil, actually.

• bougin89 - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Wouldn’t Ellis rather take 3 years for 36? Or was he dead set on getting out of Milwaukee?

• taylornick3 - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Its not commenting to that deal. but often if the deal is long you might make more in total but not per year. the article is saying that rather than a larger total deal worth seven figures a year, he thought he could get a long deal and still eight figures per year.

• spinmovr - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM

The emphasis should be on the more years as in “he thought he could get the same 10+mil over four years instead of three.”

I remember thinking something similar though. Who would go all out for a 4/40 million bird in the bush when you’ve got 3/36 million in hand?

The last year is always going to be an option anyway so take what you can get. And if he really hated Milwaukee that much where he just wanted out, then you’ve got to pay for that ticket out of town….as in less money on your next deal.

13. garyknowz1 - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

The big selling point in today’s league is defense! A volume shooter can be easily be shut down by a couple good, active defenders.

You can be a successful volume shooter in the league if you have the defensive skills too (like Bryant). But if you are a lazy defender, I don’t care how well you shoot, you are a mid-level player at best.

• elcapitanfiscal - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Looking at you Melo

14. dezglobal - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Sign a 1 year deal w a contender and get your game solid as hell.. Come back next year and get a long term deal. Best bet

• bougin89 - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM

That sounds great and all but when the money is there you have to strike as an athlete. Nothing is guaranteed until you sign the contract. This is especially true for high volume, low efficient scorers. It looks like Ellis totally struck out on this one.

15. itsonlyaspeedbump - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Bad 3 point shooter. Average playmaker. Poor defender. Actually the 3 point shooting is the worst part. Steph Curry isnt a good defender either but 12 mil a year would be a steal for him. Why? Because he is an excellent 3 point shooter. Harden is another minus defender with a not great field-goal percentage. But he gets to the free-throw line. A LOT. Ellis is not in the same hemisphere as these guys.

It use to be that a perimeter player would be highly valued just because he can get a shot off at any time–even if he did nothing else particularly well. The last great player like this was probably Allen Iverson. That NBA is gone.

• spinmovr - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Good points. The best scenario for Ellis is that he matures into a more efficient 3 pt shooter role player on a team that doesn’t need him to score 18 a night. He’s obviously still in alpha dog mode, even though every NBA decision maker sees that he isn’t any such thing.

His only path forward is to get his head on straight enough to become “that guy” that teams add when they burst scoring/shooting. At best, he evolves into what Jamal Crawford has become to the Clippers: a mini alpha dog that has the greenlight while leading the b-team. At worst, he become Monta Ellis extreme gunning his way out of the league and into Europe or China.

16. markopoulos9 - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Vasilis Spanoulis is a better version of Ellis if you consider them both undersized combo guards. Only,Vasilis Spanoulis has developed(his coaches were Giannakis,Obradovic!,Ivcovic!)a better 3 point shot,a very efficient pick n’ roll game,much better shot selection and is at the least a smart team defender. Find any similarities to their game?

Maybe Ellis would find the 40-45 games a year, 3 million euros(close to 4,3 mil $) a year,taxes paid by team,+ Villa,Cars, either in Barcelona,Istanbul,Milan a better fit???

17. loubearkane - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Nate Robinson will end up signing for 3.5 – 5 million a year some where. He is not 8 mil better than Nate.

18. steelcitywhitty - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM

What if the agent really thought he could get Monta a bigger contract and just flat out failed? What if Monta was really following his agent’s advice? Shouldn’t Monta fire the agent? Just saying, there are two sides to this argument.

And the other side is this -

If the agent says, “Monta, in my professional opinion, there is no way you are going to get a better offer and I respectfully advise you to TAKE THIS OFFER.” Why would Monta be mad at his agent giving him good advice?

19. jimsjam33 - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Milwaukee still needs him . Are they open to re-negotiating his contract or did he burn his bridge ?

20. coryfor3 - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM

In fairness, the agent probably advised to turn down the 36 million.

21. hatesycophants - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I think it’s important to keep in mind that Milwaukee is one of the worst cities in the country. Yes, folks, even worse than any city in Ohio. I really hate Ohio, but it’s true.

22. hodag54501 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Milwaukee will have a new backcourt next season…and that is a good thing. Jennings and Ellis are legends in their own minds.

23. aboogy123456 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM

stop hating on monta ellis, he’s a good player and maybe he just wants a longer contract so he can finally have some stability in his career. Maybe his agent made promises to him that ended up not being true, we don’t know so stop criticizing monta.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview