Jul 10, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Back in March of 2011, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban revealed key piece of his strategy for building a team. Henry Abbott of ESPN:
Cuban confessed that once Dirk Nowitzki retires he expects the Mavericks to lose, and, if he gets his way, they’ll lose badly. Kevin Pritchard seemed to agree and introduced a new term into our lexicons: “the mediocrity treadmill.”There is no championship future for a middling team that is stuck in the embattled space between those who struggle to make the playoffs and those that struggle and miss. Cuban has no desire for the Mavericks to be such a team.
A few months later, the Mavericks won the championship, and Cuban was hailed as a genius.Now, I can’t help but think back to those remarks, as I read this:https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/354786298088792067Ellington, a quality 3-point shooter who plays some defense, represents good value at that price. But how does he help the Mavericks escape the middling zone Cuban once so clearly wanted to avoid?Dallas went 41-41 last year with an old roster. Jose Calderon, Devin Harris and a healthy Dirk Nowitzki should help, but aging and the loss of O.J. Mayo won’t. Even if the Mavericks move a little in either direction, they’re starting at exactly mediocre, so middling will be difficult to escape.I guess Ellington helps a little more, but he doesn’t exactly move the needle. Hop on the mediocrity treadmill.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54