Jul 10, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Back in March of 2011, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban revealed key piece of his strategy for building a team. Henry Abbott of ESPN:
Cuban confessed that once Dirk Nowitzki retires he expects the Mavericks to lose, and, if he gets his way, they’ll lose badly. Kevin Pritchard seemed to agree and introduced a new term into our lexicons: “the mediocrity treadmill.”There is no championship future for a middling team that is stuck in the embattled space between those who struggle to make the playoffs and those that struggle and miss. Cuban has no desire for the Mavericks to be such a team.
A few months later, the Mavericks won the championship, and Cuban was hailed as a genius.Now, I can’t help but think back to those remarks, as I read this:https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/354786298088792067Ellington, a quality 3-point shooter who plays some defense, represents good value at that price. But how does he help the Mavericks escape the middling zone Cuban once so clearly wanted to avoid?Dallas went 41-41 last year with an old roster. Jose Calderon, Devin Harris and a healthy Dirk Nowitzki should help, but aging and the loss of O.J. Mayo won’t. Even if the Mavericks move a little in either direction, they’re starting at exactly mediocre, so middling will be difficult to escape.I guess Ellington helps a little more, but he doesn’t exactly move the needle. Hop on the mediocrity treadmill.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10