Jul 9, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Golden State looks formidable: Stephen Curry at the point, Klay Thompson at the two, Andre Iguodala and David Lee are your forwards. Andrew Bogut is the starting center and his health (and defense) could be the lynchpin for how far this Warriors team can go.
However, they need depth — and they may have found some of it in the forms of Jermaine O’Neal and Toney Douglas. Both veterans are headed to Golden State, according to reports.
Bogut will be the main guy asked to protect the rim, grab boards and get a few buckets from the post. However, Bogut has had an injury prone career so he needs depth behind him. Festus Ezeli is on the roster but he is already injured. So they signed Marreese Speights.
And now they have added Jermaine O’Neal to the mix, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. This is a nice, solid pickup, especially for one season at $2 million. O’Neal averaged 8.3 points in just under 19 minutes a game for Phoenix last season. This season he likely will be asked to do less in terms of minutes, but he will be a good presence in the locker room as well.
Douglas, 27, just reached a deal according to ESPNNewYork.com’s Jared Zwerling. Douglas bounced between Houston and Sacramento last season; he’s an aggressive score-first guard who can space the floor with a three point shot (38 percent last season). He has nights where he can just light it up, but he’s not as helpful on the defensive end (he has defensive skills but he’s not consistent).
Terms of the Douglas deal were not known, but it’s at or near the veteran minimum. And at that price he is a nice pickup.
Basically, solid moves that gives Golden State some depth, but these are not game changers.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 0
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2