Jul 9, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Golden State looks formidable: Stephen Curry at the point, Klay Thompson at the two, Andre Iguodala and David Lee are your forwards. Andrew Bogut is the starting center and his health (and defense) could be the lynchpin for how far this Warriors team can go.
However, they need depth — and they may have found some of it in the forms of Jermaine O’Neal and Toney Douglas. Both veterans are headed to Golden State, according to reports.
Bogut will be the main guy asked to protect the rim, grab boards and get a few buckets from the post. However, Bogut has had an injury prone career so he needs depth behind him. Festus Ezeli is on the roster but he is already injured. So they signed Marreese Speights.
And now they have added Jermaine O’Neal to the mix, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. This is a nice, solid pickup, especially for one season at $2 million. O’Neal averaged 8.3 points in just under 19 minutes a game for Phoenix last season. This season he likely will be asked to do less in terms of minutes, but he will be a good presence in the locker room as well.
Douglas, 27, just reached a deal according to ESPNNewYork.com’s Jared Zwerling. Douglas bounced between Houston and Sacramento last season; he’s an aggressive score-first guard who can space the floor with a three point shot (38 percent last season). He has nights where he can just light it up, but he’s not as helpful on the defensive end (he has defensive skills but he’s not consistent).
Terms of the Douglas deal were not known, but it’s at or near the veteran minimum. And at that price he is a nice pickup.
Basically, solid moves that gives Golden State some depth, but these are not game changers.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 0
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 8
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 65
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 50
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 25
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4