Jul 9, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
It is still an “if” — if the Lakers amnesty Metta World Peace.
The report came out Monday night that the Lakers were leaning that way, jettisoning World Peace to save a few bucks (isn’t that just like corporate America). But nothing is decided yet.
However, if World Peace is set free he would like to land with the Knicks, reports Jared Zwerling at ESPNNewYork.com.
Amid rumors that Metta World Peace will be released by the Los Angeles Lakers via the amnesty clause, his longtime friend and head of his foundation, Jose Morales, said the forward “hopes to land with the Knicks.”
“If the Lakers do amnesty him, he might want to retire,” Morales said. “If one of these small-market teams picks him up, he won’t be happy with that. He doesn’t want to play there.”
Morales said World Peace would also be open to playing for the Clippers, but if he can’t stay in Los Angeles he would only want to play in New York, his hometown.
When a player is amnestied he goes on to a waiver wire where a team under the salary cap can bid and pick him up and take over a portion of his old salary (the player still gets paid his full salary, the remainder is picked up by the team that amnestied him). Which is to say, when/if the Lakers amnesty World Peace he could get picked up by the Bobcats or Suns. Which would force World Peace’s hand.
But if he gets through the waiver process he is an unrestricted free agent. Then it’s just a matter of money… and the Knicks don’t have much.
New York could offer the veteran minimum or whatever is left of their mini midlevel of $3.2 million. But that’s it. Not that it really matters too much as World Peace would get paid anyway.
It is something to watch, if he is amnestied (and it looks like he will be).
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 3
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19