Jul 9, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
It is still an “if” — if the Lakers amnesty Metta World Peace.
The report came out Monday night that the Lakers were leaning that way, jettisoning World Peace to save a few bucks (isn’t that just like corporate America). But nothing is decided yet.
However, if World Peace is set free he would like to land with the Knicks, reports Jared Zwerling at ESPNNewYork.com.
Amid rumors that Metta World Peace will be released by the Los Angeles Lakers via the amnesty clause, his longtime friend and head of his foundation, Jose Morales, said the forward “hopes to land with the Knicks.”
“If the Lakers do amnesty him, he might want to retire,” Morales said. “If one of these small-market teams picks him up, he won’t be happy with that. He doesn’t want to play there.”
Morales said World Peace would also be open to playing for the Clippers, but if he can’t stay in Los Angeles he would only want to play in New York, his hometown.
When a player is amnestied he goes on to a waiver wire where a team under the salary cap can bid and pick him up and take over a portion of his old salary (the player still gets paid his full salary, the remainder is picked up by the team that amnestied him). Which is to say, when/if the Lakers amnesty World Peace he could get picked up by the Bobcats or Suns. Which would force World Peace’s hand.
But if he gets through the waiver process he is an unrestricted free agent. Then it’s just a matter of money… and the Knicks don’t have much.
New York could offer the veteran minimum or whatever is left of their mini midlevel of $3.2 million. But that’s it. Not that it really matters too much as World Peace would get paid anyway.
It is something to watch, if he is amnestied (and it looks like he will be).
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4