Jul 9, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
It is still an “if” — if the Lakers amnesty Metta World Peace.
The report came out Monday night that the Lakers were leaning that way, jettisoning World Peace to save a few bucks (isn’t that just like corporate America). But nothing is decided yet.
However, if World Peace is set free he would like to land with the Knicks, reports Jared Zwerling at ESPNNewYork.com.
Amid rumors that Metta World Peace will be released by the Los Angeles Lakers via the amnesty clause, his longtime friend and head of his foundation, Jose Morales, said the forward “hopes to land with the Knicks.”
“If the Lakers do amnesty him, he might want to retire,” Morales said. “If one of these small-market teams picks him up, he won’t be happy with that. He doesn’t want to play there.”
Morales said World Peace would also be open to playing for the Clippers, but if he can’t stay in Los Angeles he would only want to play in New York, his hometown.
When a player is amnestied he goes on to a waiver wire where a team under the salary cap can bid and pick him up and take over a portion of his old salary (the player still gets paid his full salary, the remainder is picked up by the team that amnestied him). Which is to say, when/if the Lakers amnesty World Peace he could get picked up by the Bobcats or Suns. Which would force World Peace’s hand.
But if he gets through the waiver process he is an unrestricted free agent. Then it’s just a matter of money… and the Knicks don’t have much.
New York could offer the veteran minimum or whatever is left of their mini midlevel of $3.2 million. But that’s it. Not that it really matters too much as World Peace would get paid anyway.
It is something to watch, if he is amnestied (and it looks like he will be).
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13