Jul 9, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
With a front line of Andre Drummond, Greg Monroe and Josh Smith, the Pistons need guys to space the floor and knock down jump shots. No, not you Josh Smith, you stay near the basket, they need to get other guys to be shooters.
Enter Italian forward Luigi “Gigi” Datome.
The 6’9” forward who was the Italian League MVP and played for Virtus Roma is bound for Detroit, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
“I decided to become a player for the Detroit Pistons. I think it may be the right place for me to make a quantum leap in my career and to fulfill the dream of a lifetime. I am very excited to join the group of players in Detroit.”
This is a two-year, $3.5 million deal.
Datome is a three who likes to shoot from distance, he averaged 16.2 points a game and shot 39.4 percent from three last season.
Datome will come off the bench behind Jonas Jerebko but if he can knock down shots he will see a lot of minutes. The Pistons need players on the wings.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 15
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2