Jul 9, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
With a front line of Andre Drummond, Greg Monroe and Josh Smith, the Pistons need guys to space the floor and knock down jump shots. No, not you Josh Smith, you stay near the basket, they need to get other guys to be shooters.
Enter Italian forward Luigi “Gigi” Datome.
The 6’9” forward who was the Italian League MVP and played for Virtus Roma is bound for Detroit, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
“I decided to become a player for the Detroit Pistons. I think it may be the right place for me to make a quantum leap in my career and to fulfill the dream of a lifetime. I am very excited to join the group of players in Detroit.”
This is a two-year, $3.5 million deal.
Datome is a three who likes to shoot from distance, he averaged 16.2 points a game and shot 39.4 percent from three last season.
Datome will come off the bench behind Jonas Jerebko but if he can knock down shots he will see a lot of minutes. The Pistons need players on the wings.
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 3
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 18
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11