Jul 9, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
With a front line of Andre Drummond, Greg Monroe and Josh Smith, the Pistons need guys to space the floor and knock down jump shots. No, not you Josh Smith, you stay near the basket, they need to get other guys to be shooters.
Enter Italian forward Luigi “Gigi” Datome.
The 6’9” forward who was the Italian League MVP and played for Virtus Roma is bound for Detroit, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
“I decided to become a player for the Detroit Pistons. I think it may be the right place for me to make a quantum leap in my career and to fulfill the dream of a lifetime. I am very excited to join the group of players in Detroit.”
This is a two-year, $3.5 million deal.
Datome is a three who likes to shoot from distance, he averaged 16.2 points a game and shot 39.4 percent from three last season.
Datome will come off the bench behind Jonas Jerebko but if he can knock down shots he will see a lot of minutes. The Pistons need players on the wings.
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 0
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 7
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 7
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 12
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 37
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 45
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27