Jul 9, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
With a front line of Andre Drummond, Greg Monroe and Josh Smith, the Pistons need guys to space the floor and knock down jump shots. No, not you Josh Smith, you stay near the basket, they need to get other guys to be shooters.
Enter Italian forward Luigi “Gigi” Datome.
The 6’9” forward who was the Italian League MVP and played for Virtus Roma is bound for Detroit, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
“I decided to become a player for the Detroit Pistons. I think it may be the right place for me to make a quantum leap in my career and to fulfill the dream of a lifetime. I am very excited to join the group of players in Detroit.”
This is a two-year, $3.5 million deal.
Datome is a three who likes to shoot from distance, he averaged 16.2 points a game and shot 39.4 percent from three last season.
Datome will come off the bench behind Jonas Jerebko but if he can knock down shots he will see a lot of minutes. The Pistons need players on the wings.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 1
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11