Jul 9, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
With a front line of Andre Drummond, Greg Monroe and Josh Smith, the Pistons need guys to space the floor and knock down jump shots. No, not you Josh Smith, you stay near the basket, they need to get other guys to be shooters.
Enter Italian forward Luigi “Gigi” Datome.
The 6’9” forward who was the Italian League MVP and played for Virtus Roma is bound for Detroit, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Detroit Pistons deal with Italian shooter Gigi Datome: two years, $3.5 million, source tells Y! Sports.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 09, 2013
“I decided to become a player for the Detroit Pistons. I think it may be the right place for me to make a quantum leap in my career and to fulfill the dream of a lifetime. I am very excited to join the group of players in Detroit.”
This is a two-year, $3.5 million deal.
Datome is a three who likes to shoot from distance, he averaged 16.2 points a game and shot 39.4 percent from three last season.
Datome will come off the bench behind Jonas Jerebko but if he can knock down shots he will see a lot of minutes. The Pistons need players on the wings.
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 13
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 21
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 6
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16