Jul 9, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
If Luc Richard Mbah a Moute’s knees can hold up the Kings have found themselves a nice fit at the three. But that’s a big if.
The Sacramento Kings have acquired Mbah a Moute from the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for a couple second round picks (2016 and 2018), something first reported by Ken Berger of CBSSports.com and now confirmed by other sources. Mbah a Moute has two years at a total of just under $9 million left on his deal.
This move seems to signal the Kings are out of the Monta Ellis running, but there is nothing final there. Atlanta and Dallas are the other suitors for Ellis.
When healthy Mbah a Moute is one of the better wing defenders in the NBA, and the Kings had a terrible defense so this would be a big upgrade. However, he has missed 47 games the last two seasons due to his knee. Even when he has been on the court he hasn’t been the same defender.
Mbah a Moute has never been much of an offensive threat but he did improve to shoot 35.1 percent from three last season. If he can develop a good catch-and-shoot three he has much more value.
In the end this all is a gamble on the health of Mbah a Moute’s knee. If it is right this is a great get for the Kings at a low price. If not there is not a ton of value anymore, which is why the Bucks took on a second round pick for him.
In Milwaukee, just acquired Carlos Delfino may have just seen his minutes increase.
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 19
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 3
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 18
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 10
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 19
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16