Jul 9, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
When the San Antonio Spurs signed Marco Belinelli this summer, it made you wonder if they would bring back restricted free agent Gary Neal. The Spurs have 14 roster spots filled right now, match Neal and they have the full 15 (and now wiggle room to add guys) and they would carry eight guards. That’s not likely.
The belief is the Spurs will not match any offer for Neal. The Bucks may be one of the teams ready to put that theory to the test.
Milwaukee is one of four teams “in the mix” for Neal, reports Gery Woelfel for the Journal Times.
We don’t know who the other teams are, although there has been some buzz about Detroit. The Bucks have lost Monta Ellis and J.J. Redick, and while Neal is a reserve he could provide them needed depth.
Neal is a solid reserve guard who started some in a pinch for San Antonio last season. He gave them 9.5 points a game and is a career 39.8 percent shooter from three who can put the ball on the floor as well.
Some team is going to pick him up. Apparently that might be the Bucks.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38