Jul 9, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
When the San Antonio Spurs signed Marco Belinelli this summer, it made you wonder if they would bring back restricted free agent Gary Neal. The Spurs have 14 roster spots filled right now, match Neal and they have the full 15 (and now wiggle room to add guys) and they would carry eight guards. That’s not likely.
The belief is the Spurs will not match any offer for Neal. The Bucks may be one of the teams ready to put that theory to the test.
Milwaukee is one of four teams “in the mix” for Neal, reports Gery Woelfel for the Journal Times.
We don’t know who the other teams are, although there has been some buzz about Detroit. The Bucks have lost Monta Ellis and J.J. Redick, and while Neal is a reserve he could provide them needed depth.
Neal is a solid reserve guard who started some in a pinch for San Antonio last season. He gave them 9.5 points a game and is a career 39.8 percent shooter from three who can put the ball on the floor as well.
Some team is going to pick him up. Apparently that might be the Bucks.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14