Jul 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Dwight Howard will not put his signature on his new four-year, $88 million contract with the Houston Rockets until Wednesday, but he’s not exactly light in the wallet. He’s cleared $100 million in earnings already, and that doesn’t count endorsements.
So he can afford to pick up the tab for a few friends… or a restaurant full of new friends. Tuesday morning Howard picked up the tab for everyone eating at The Breakfast Klub in Houston on Tuesday. We found out about it via CSNHouston.com, and the guys at ClutchFans covered it well in their thread. But this tweet sums it up nicely.
Howard is the conquering hero in Houston, the guy who turned his back on the bright lights and big city to come to their (not all that little) town. Rockets fans are rightfully excited because Howard and James Harden are the potential core of a title team.
But it is gestures like this that resonate with fans and a city — Howard comes off as friendly (he pretty much always is that) and one of the people, not a mercenary just hired to play basketball. This is how you ingratiate yourself with the fans.
Also of note, The Breakfast Klub sells a green eggs and ham breakfast. Next time I’m in Houston I am heading there to order that. Say! I like green eggs and ham! I do!! I like them, Sam-I-am! And I would eat them in a boat! And I would eat them with a goat…
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 0
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 53
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 11
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14