Jul 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Dwight Howard will not put his signature on his new four-year, $88 million contract with the Houston Rockets until Wednesday, but he’s not exactly light in the wallet. He’s cleared $100 million in earnings already, and that doesn’t count endorsements.
So he can afford to pick up the tab for a few friends… or a restaurant full of new friends. Tuesday morning Howard picked up the tab for everyone eating at The Breakfast Klub in Houston on Tuesday. We found out about it via CSNHouston.com, and the guys at ClutchFans covered it well in their thread. But this tweet sums it up nicely.
Howard is the conquering hero in Houston, the guy who turned his back on the bright lights and big city to come to their (not all that little) town. Rockets fans are rightfully excited because Howard and James Harden are the potential core of a title team.
But it is gestures like this that resonate with fans and a city — Howard comes off as friendly (he pretty much always is that) and one of the people, not a mercenary just hired to play basketball. This is how you ingratiate yourself with the fans.
Also of note, The Breakfast Klub sells a green eggs and ham breakfast. Next time I’m in Houston I am heading there to order that. Say! I like green eggs and ham! I do!! I like them, Sam-I-am! And I would eat them in a boat! And I would eat them with a goat…
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4