Dwight Howard makes friends, buys breakfast for entire Houston restaurant

Jul 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Dwight Howard will not put his signature on his new four-year, $88 million contract with the Houston Rockets until Wednesday, but he’s not exactly light in the wallet. He’s cleared $100 million in earnings already, and that doesn’t count endorsements.

So he can afford to pick up the tab for a few friends… or a restaurant full of new friends. Tuesday morning Howard picked up the tab for everyone eating at The Breakfast Klub in Houston on Tuesday. We found out about it via CSNHouston.com, and the guys at ClutchFans covered it well in their thread. But this tweet sums it up nicely.

Howard is the conquering hero in Houston, the guy who turned his back on the bright lights and big city to come to their (not all that little) town. Rockets fans are rightfully excited because Howard and James Harden are the potential core of a title team.

But it is gestures like this that resonate with fans and a city — Howard comes off as friendly (he pretty much always is that) and one of the people, not a mercenary just hired to play basketball. This is how you ingratiate yourself with the fans.

Also of note, The Breakfast Klub sells a green eggs and ham breakfast. Next time I’m in Houston I am heading there to order that. Say! I like green eggs and ham! I do!! I like them, Sam-I-am! And I would eat them in a boat! And I would eat them with a goat…

1. dirtydavis - Jul 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Rockets champs 2014

• ambitoos - Jul 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I don’t think so. He should start pissing and moaning about his coach within the first year of his contract. He has an out at the end of the 2014 year. Pat Riley is in charge of winning championships for the next couple of years. Howard will never win because he doesn’t have the heart of a champion. He’s no Allajuan Robinson,Shaq, Wilt, Jabbar, Russel and many others. His desire and heart are just not big enough. He does love the attention though.

• jnoah13 - Jul 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Please man, at least spell Olajuwon right. You’re right, hes not any of those guys. Because nobody is those guys except for them, that’s like saying Kobe is no Jordan. Because only Jordan is Jordan. Oh, and Russell is spelled with two L’s.

And you also claim to know his heart? Who are you to know that?

• firecc - Jul 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Who is Allajuan Robinson? What team did he play for?

I’ve heard of many NBA legends, but Allajuan Robinson is one that has managed to conceal his existance to me.

(*You meant Olajuwon (COMMA) Robinson)

• ludachrisgsx - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Rockets fans should hope so in order to prevent the inevitable chatter that will start coming from “sources close to Howard” talking about his increasing discomfort and unhappiness.

2. nhimunoz314 - Jul 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

ochestra….que all the haters!!!!!

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Please Don’t speak Spanish on this site

• ambitoos - Jul 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

There is nothing to hate. I’ve been a Laker fan for 50 years and I for one was happy to see him go. He’s a malcontent.

• 1historian - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Orchestra – Cue all the spellers!

3. adoombray - Jul 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I can now die a happy man knowing that I lived to see an NBC Sports Analyst quote Dr. Seuss. Happy Thursday, Helin (*wink wink, nudge nudge*)

4. drunkenjunk - Jul 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Not really a Howard fan and hate the rockets but that’s pretty cool.

5. heat256 - Jul 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM

The Breakfast Klub serves some of the best soul food I’ve ever had. Definitely recommend going there to anyone visiting Houston. Good move by Howard. He’s not a bad guy, just not the one many people want him to be.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

The problems with Howard are he’s a pleaser and he wants everyone to like him. Not a bad pair of traits, except that they are magnified and in the spotlight and millions of people are watching him. But I’m sure we all have pleaser friends and they’re not bad people at all. Everyone has their quirks.

• ambitoos - Jul 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM

You mean he’s not the one everybody thinks he is. He likes to argue with his coaches when he doesn’t get his own way.

• 8to80texansblog - Jul 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Chicken and Waffles there are to die for. The line on weekend mornings though is ridiculous. One time I waited an hour in the rain to eat there….

• Anoesis - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM

You mean like honest, forthright, and dependable? Willing to be a team man instead of whining that he isn’t the focus on every play? Learning new skills instead of just going with what he’s always been able to do? Having the ability to at least consider putting reality somewhere in the room that is his fantasy?

6. ji8888 - Jul 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Let the circus begin.

• dolf1104 - Jul 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Wrong city, this is not LA where the only news is circus news.

7. 00maltliquor - Jul 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Did they have to spell club with a K because they didn’t want Power 105.1’s Breakfast Club to sue them for the name?

That was pretty cool of Howard. You know everyone there had to be psyched to have had the tab all paid for. Everyone quick, order up some pitchers!

8. thekingdave - Jul 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM

@00maltliquor

Yeah, forget about the wildly popular 80s classic film. They fear being sued by some radio duo or something…

• 00maltliquor - Jul 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Simmer down buddy. I don’t watch very many movies nor do I care too. Too busy watching sports. Especially 80’s movies…blah. Scarface and Predator is all I care for from that era.

9. ProBasketballPundit - Jul 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM

This is the first bit of positive news I’ve heard regarding Dwightmar… er Dwight Howard in a couple years.

10. rdav29 - Jul 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM

But he didn’t tip

• badintent - Jul 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM

No Tip. He gave her the whole thing.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 9, 2013 at 9:37 PM

^ bwaahaahaha haaa!

badintent strikes again

• badintent - Jul 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM

God, country , and PBT. And the Whole Truth, not just the tip.

• Anoesis - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM

So you say he’s working on yet another kid? Dude moves fast. He doesn’t know where he’s going, but he’s making good time.

• badintent - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:59 AM

not sure about good use of his time, Gloria ALLRED keeps close tabs on his flock of sheep.his little head is his big head.for x-mas send him some rubbers.HE can dial up Shaq on how to use them, one superman to another

11. jrebar88 - Jul 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Thats the only way he can make friends. Spending money.

12. dpeterson75 - Jul 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Breakfast Klub? John Hughes gonna sue somebody

13. dezglobal - Jul 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I dont like Howard at all but I woulda slid my meal in there too lol

• stayhigh_247 - Jul 10, 2013 at 12:13 AM

^with extras

• Anoesis - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM

The definition of hypocrisy.

14. hrozier - Jul 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Dwight Howard is not the nice guy that he pretends to be. This was done just to get people to like him. He is really a big spoiled baby that only cares about himself. This leopard can’t change his spots in time the whole world will see and know the truth about Dwightmare.

15. dyn0myte - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Admittedly, the gesture was nice,
    but putting the tab on his Lakers expense account was just flat-out cruel…

16. raycharlesj - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM

It takes a lot of strength, courage,determination, and being truly comfortable with yourself, to ignore what other people want you to be and be yourself regardless of public opinion. The more I personally see and learn about Howard the more I am starting to admire him. I never was one to follow the crowd because it was safe and less risky, I hate the “herd” mentality. Good luck Dwight looking forward to watching you and Harden play together next season.

• ludachrisgsx - Jul 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Howard struggles with trying to make the world like him. It takes a lot of strength, courage, and determination to be a reliable person who can be counted on to rise to the occasion when the world is doubting you. I have yet to see Howard do that in his career. He’s turned his back and walked away from two franchises that begged him to stay and be their leader. Maybe Orlando would never have been able to put enough pieces around him, but LA almost certainly would have next summer or the summer after, but he didn’t give them a chance. Instead, he chose to jump ship. Knowing what that could do to his image, I guess I can agree that it took some guts. But staying in LA would have shown a great deal more courage in the eyes of most people.

I admire him for doing something that will make him more unpopular, knowing how much he wants people to view him in a positive light. That must be difficult for him. If the Rockets aren’t able to keep him happy though, maybe he’ll finally realize that happiness starts with him, not the organization, his teammates, fans, critics, etc. Chances are though, he’ll keep blaming others for his unhappiness. No reason to think he’ll change when he hasn’t shown any signs of changing.

• raycharlesj - Aug 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Who the hell spends their time worrying about “the world doubting you?” That’s “the worlds” issue!! not mine. ignore that crap. Quit living for what people ASSUME and don’t really know About YOU!!!

• Anoesis - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM

It does take “a lot of strength, courage,determination, and being truly comfortable with yourself, to ignore what other people want you to be…” such as acting like a mature adult and not jerking people around. All hail Howard’s resistance to growing up. But, hey, at least if he can’t face his shortcomings instead of fleeing town, he can buy some new friends in the next town.

17. kingcrusher - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I look at these athletes as any other employee. If I get a better job offer, I’m going to take it. Taking into consideration all things pertaining to my happiness. I say good for him. If he’s happy, then I wish him well.

On the picking up the tab part… I think a better move would have been to make an appearance at the local shelter and deliver a truckload of supplies while hanging out with the crew and helping for a day. Would have looked much better and endeared him to the people there. Yes, it’s a PR stunt, but you know, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Will be fun to see how it goes there this season.

18. ludachrisgsx - Jul 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Imagine how much more he would have been embraced and supported in the LA media and Lakers fans had he done things like this when he got to LA. It’s the little things that make fan bases get behind you and support you through tough situations. You have to invest in them first though.

Hey Dwight – that support you felt like you never had in LA, the reason you didn’t feel comfortable there, it goes both ways. Lucky for the Houston fans you’ve already shown more commitment and dedication to them before even signing your contract with them than you ever did in LA. Looks like they can go out and buy a Howard Rockets jersey without the fear of you jumping ship anytime soon. The fans in LA never got that feeling from you – and strangely enough, you wonder why you weren’t loved by the fans… the irony.

Hats off to the Rockets fans. Looks like you have a very solid team, and I congratulate you. Should be a fun team to watch, so long as Howard remains “happy”. Just watch out – once you start seeing “sources close to Howard” popping up in your local news outlets, just know that the circus is about to start up again. Those are the early signs of a funnel cloud coming your way – at least that’s been the trend in two cities now.

19. Anoesis - Jul 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM

That picture looks like the start of a new “derp, derp, derp” meme on the ‘net.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches