Bradley Beal won’t play for Wizards in Summer League, doubtful now for USA Basketball mini-camp

Jul 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Bradley Beal AP

Bradley Beal was shut down by the Wizards in April after suffering a stress injury to his right fibula, and although no fracture has been detected, he’s still experiencing enough discomfort to where the team isn’t going to allow him to push the issue this summer.

Beal would have been on Washington’s Summer League squad, but soreness is going to prevent him from participating. He was also invited to USA Basketball mini-camp immediately following Summer League in Las Vegas beginning on July 22, but he’s now doubtful to participate there, as well.

From CSNWashington:

Beal will be there when the Wizards open summer league Saturday vs. the Golden State Warriors in Las Vegas (CSN, 4 p.m. ET). Twenty-one NBA teams and one D-League select team will compete in the tournament that runs until July 22. USA Basketball, led by Duke coach Mike Krzyzweski, has a mini-camp scheduled July 22-25, also in Las Vegas.

“I’m not sure yet,” Beal said of participating with Team USA. “I’m hoping. I wish I could play in summer league. If I don’t, I don’t. For USA I want to play, but if I’m not 100% I’m not going to force it.

“Coach K wants me to still go. … (They) want me to attend even if I’m not participating.”

Beal is just 19 years old, and there are some very solid NBA players attending that USA Basketball mini-camp, so being invited was somewhat of an honor. But he’s right not to force it if he’s not physically ready, although attending and listening should provide at least some benefit for the young player’s future development.

Beal averaged 13.9 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 31.2 minutes per game for the Wizards in his rookie season.

Latest Posts
  1. Anthony Davis excited to get running in Alvin Gentry’s offense

Jul 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans - Game Four Getty Images

The Pelicans were one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA last season, that’s about to change.

2. Chris Kaman has new reality show, to air on Mark Cuban’s network

Jul 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers

“I think someone who would watch this would think there is something wrong with me and something wrong with my friends.” — Chris Kaman

3. Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves

Jul 29, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT

Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller

Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns are about to be finishing alley-oops from the best lob passer in the game.

4. Warriors promote Luke Walton to lead assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Kerr says Luke Walton is a future head coach in the NBA.

5. Raptors’ coach Dwane Casey says expect more small ball from the Raptors this year

Jul 29, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four Getty Images

Toronto has shifted the roster to be more defensive, and be able to go smaller.

6. Raptors hire Jerry Stackhouse as assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Stackhouse drives against Carter Getty Images

Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff

7. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

8. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

9. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

10. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

11. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

12. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

13. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

Top 10 NBA Player Searches