Bradley Beal won’t play for Wizards in Summer League, doubtful now for USA Basketball mini-camp

Jul 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EST

Bradley Beal AP

Bradley Beal was shut down by the Wizards in April after suffering a stress injury to his right fibula, and although no fracture has been detected, he’s still experiencing enough discomfort to where the team isn’t going to allow him to push the issue this summer.

Beal would have been on Washington’s Summer League squad, but soreness is going to prevent him from participating. He was also invited to USA Basketball mini-camp immediately following Summer League in Las Vegas beginning on July 22, but he’s now doubtful to participate there, as well.

From CSNWashington:

Beal will be there when the Wizards open summer league Saturday vs. the Golden State Warriors in Las Vegas (CSN, 4 p.m. ET). Twenty-one NBA teams and one D-League select team will compete in the tournament that runs until July 22. USA Basketball, led by Duke coach Mike Krzyzweski, has a mini-camp scheduled July 22-25, also in Las Vegas.

“I’m not sure yet,” Beal said of participating with Team USA. “I’m hoping. I wish I could play in summer league. If I don’t, I don’t. For USA I want to play, but if I’m not 100% I’m not going to force it.

“Coach K wants me to still go. … (They) want me to attend even if I’m not participating.”

Beal is just 19 years old, and there are some very solid NBA players attending that USA Basketball mini-camp, so being invited was somewhat of an honor. But he’s right not to force it if he’s not physically ready, although attending and listening should provide at least some benefit for the young player’s future development.

Beal averaged 13.9 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 31.2 minutes per game for the Wizards in his rookie season.

1. saint1997 - Jul 9, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Please no. Just please no. Not another NBA season made crappy by injuries. Please.

• thirdistheworrd - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I don’t think this is going to be an issue, much less an “injury”. While the Bullets have never done anything right, they seem to just be taking the safe road with Beal. He definitely can play, he could have played for the last two months of the season. But why should he play when there’s nothing to gain and everything to lose. Even if the risk of reinjury is a million to one, why play those odds on a rookie with future star potential?

2. sire2334 - Jul 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM

No need to rush, young fella…

3. dezglobal - Jul 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

This kid is only 19.. He needs to take his time to recover. No rush.. He could be fricken awesome in the future. Damn GMs try and rush everything.

4. solomon151 - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM

This is the same guy that bashed D.Rose for not coming back to play this year. Funny huh?!?

• stlouisramsbaby - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

he didn’t bash D. Rose read the whole story and don’t twist words

5. @Cereal_22 - Jul 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Wizards run the table this year,,,,watch

I kid

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches