Jul 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Bradley Beal was shut down by the Wizards in April after suffering a stress injury to his right fibula, and although no fracture has been detected, he’s still experiencing enough discomfort to where the team isn’t going to allow him to push the issue this summer.
Beal would have been on Washington’s Summer League squad, but soreness is going to prevent him from participating. He was also invited to USA Basketball mini-camp immediately following Summer League in Las Vegas beginning on July 22, but he’s now doubtful to participate there, as well.
Beal will be there when the Wizards open summer league Saturday vs. the Golden State Warriors in Las Vegas (CSN, 4 p.m. ET). Twenty-one NBA teams and one D-League select team will compete in the tournament that runs until July 22. USA Basketball, led by Duke coach Mike Krzyzweski, has a mini-camp scheduled July 22-25, also in Las Vegas.
“I’m not sure yet,” Beal said of participating with Team USA. “I’m hoping. I wish I could play in summer league. If I don’t, I don’t. For USA I want to play, but if I’m not 100% I’m not going to force it.
“Coach K wants me to still go. … (They) want me to attend even if I’m not participating.”
Beal is just 19 years old, and there are some very solid NBA players attending that USA Basketball mini-camp, so being invited was somewhat of an honor. But he’s right not to force it if he’s not physically ready, although attending and listening should provide at least some benefit for the young player’s future development.
Beal averaged 13.9 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 31.2 minutes per game for the Wizards in his rookie season.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25