Jul 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Bradley Beal was shut down by the Wizards in April after suffering a stress injury to his right fibula, and although no fracture has been detected, he’s still experiencing enough discomfort to where the team isn’t going to allow him to push the issue this summer.
Beal would have been on Washington’s Summer League squad, but soreness is going to prevent him from participating. He was also invited to USA Basketball mini-camp immediately following Summer League in Las Vegas beginning on July 22, but he’s now doubtful to participate there, as well.
Beal will be there when the Wizards open summer league Saturday vs. the Golden State Warriors in Las Vegas (CSN, 4 p.m. ET). Twenty-one NBA teams and one D-League select team will compete in the tournament that runs until July 22. USA Basketball, led by Duke coach Mike Krzyzweski, has a mini-camp scheduled July 22-25, also in Las Vegas.
“I’m not sure yet,” Beal said of participating with Team USA. “I’m hoping. I wish I could play in summer league. If I don’t, I don’t. For USA I want to play, but if I’m not 100% I’m not going to force it.
“Coach K wants me to still go. … (They) want me to attend even if I’m not participating.”
Beal is just 19 years old, and there are some very solid NBA players attending that USA Basketball mini-camp, so being invited was somewhat of an honor. But he’s right not to force it if he’s not physically ready, although attending and listening should provide at least some benefit for the young player’s future development.
Beal averaged 13.9 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 31.2 minutes per game for the Wizards in his rookie season.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)