Jul 8, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
Rasheed Wallace’s temper distracted from the rest of his game. Few saw his advanced post moves, perfect defensive positioning (Game 5 of the 2005 Finals aside) and deft passing.
Rather, most just focused on the technical fouls – though, to be fair, there were a lot of technical fouls.
But Pistons general manager Joe Dumars and new Detroit coach Maurice Cheeks, who coached Wallace in Portland, saw the wise side of Sheed.
It hasn’t been announced, but former Piston Rasheed Wallace will join the Pistons’ coaching staff this season.
Wallace strolled into the Amway Center wearing a polo shirt with the Pistons’ team logo on Monday
The Pistons are playing summer league in Orlando, where Wallace was on the Pistons sideline today talking with the team’s young players during their game against the Celtics. I have zero doubt he can dispense helpful advice in that role.
But being an NBA assistant coach is a ton of work, and though Dumars has said he discussed the grind with Wallace, there’s no way of knowing how Wallace will handle it throughout an 82-game season. Going from playing to coaching is an adjustment, and Sheed must also learn how his role in the locker room will change.
At least he’ll be going through this process as an assistant for a team with only playoff aspirations, not in the pressure-packed situation of being the head coach of a contender, like his Knicks teammate last season is doing.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 69
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31