Jul 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
In a story about the Mavericks’ chase for Andrew Bynum (do you have to run that fast to catch him?), Eddie Sefko at the Dallas Morning News threw out an interesting little nugget:
There are several other teams that have more cap space now than the Mavericks, who are very hesitant to jettison Shawn Marion and his appetizing, expiring contract next season. He’s helped win a lot of basketball games in the last four seasons and can help win a lot more this season. They may have to lose Marion’s money on the cap to get into the Bynum running.
Eventually I think Dallas will move Marion, but right now who is out there they really want to move him for? Andrew Bynum? They are better off holding on to him for a better, bigger target.
Marion quietly had a pretty nice season for Dallas at age 34 — 12.1 points on 51.4 percent shooting with 7.8 rebounds a game. All that plus an expiring deal means Dallas should wait for the right deal, or they can let him walk at the end of the season and have the cap space to chase free agents next summer.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 14
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 53
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20