Jul 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
In a story about the Mavericks’ chase for Andrew Bynum (do you have to run that fast to catch him?), Eddie Sefko at the Dallas Morning News threw out an interesting little nugget:
There are several other teams that have more cap space now than the Mavericks, who are very hesitant to jettison Shawn Marion and his appetizing, expiring contract next season. He’s helped win a lot of basketball games in the last four seasons and can help win a lot more this season. They may have to lose Marion’s money on the cap to get into the Bynum running.
Eventually I think Dallas will move Marion, but right now who is out there they really want to move him for? Andrew Bynum? They are better off holding on to him for a better, bigger target.
Marion quietly had a pretty nice season for Dallas at age 34 — 12.1 points on 51.4 percent shooting with 7.8 rebounds a game. All that plus an expiring deal means Dallas should wait for the right deal, or they can let him walk at the end of the season and have the cap space to chase free agents next summer.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 39
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4