Jul 8, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
The question was never “would teams be interested in Andrew Bynum?” Two years ago when healthy he was in the “best center in the game” conversation. Guys like him do not come around often.
The question was always “what kind of contract would he get?”
We may find out soon, with the interest in him heating up from Cleveland and Dallas, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.com.
Sources close to the process told ESPN.com that the Cavaliers are legitimate contenders to sign Bynum after his lost season in Philadelphia, especially if the former Los Angeles Lakers All-Star is willing to sign a one-year deal….
The Mavericks are also actively pursuing Bynum in the wake of Dwight Howard‘s decision to sign with the Houston Rockets, sources previously told ESPN.com.
The Hawks may be in the mix as well, but the question is how much money they have left after Monta Ellis, who is their top target.
The question for the Mavericks is how many years do you want to put on this deal? He has had chronic knee issues and didn’t play at all last season, something like a three-year contract would seem a risk. The deal could be structured with team options for Dallas in future years, but obviously Bynum would want as much guaranteed as he could get.
It sounds like Cleveland wants to make a big offer but a one-year offer. Smart strategy. If he works out you can try to re-sign him, but the risks are limited. And with Bynum there will always be risks. But if another team offers two years they may not get him.
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 0
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)