Jul 8, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
The most likely scenario out there has Monta Ellis landing in Atlanta next season; they are the clear and away frontrunners for his services. Ellis with the ball, Kyle Korver as the sharpshooter on the wing, Paul Millsap and Al Horford on the front line… that’s a solid playoff team in the East (albeit one with some defensive questions).
Sources briefed on the situation told ESPN.com that the Hawks and Bucks have in recent days discussed a sign-and-trade deal to land Brandon Jennings in Atlanta and send fellow restricted free agent Jeff Teague to Milwaukee to reunite with former Hawks coach Larry Drew. ESPN.com reported early in free agency that the Bucks, at Drew’s behest, had interest.
Larry Drew also watched the mess that was the Ellis/Jennings backcourt in Milwaukee and would not want to replicate it in Atlanta. It should never be replicated anywhere ever again.
If the Hawks are out, apparently the Sacramento Kings could be in the Monta Ellis sweepstakes, Stein reports.
The big question out there is what size deal Ellis eventually lands — remember he reportedly turned down two years, $24 million, so he is going to want more years and a larger overall paycheck. Ellis is an inefficient shooter who doesn’t play much defense, but he will put up points because he will shoot plenty.
The smart money has him landing in Atlanta right now, but know that other situations are in play.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30