Jul 8, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
The most likely scenario out there has Monta Ellis landing in Atlanta next season; they are the clear and away frontrunners for his services. Ellis with the ball, Kyle Korver as the sharpshooter on the wing, Paul Millsap and Al Horford on the front line… that’s a solid playoff team in the East (albeit one with some defensive questions).
Sources briefed on the situation told ESPN.com that the Hawks and Bucks have in recent days discussed a sign-and-trade deal to land Brandon Jennings in Atlanta and send fellow restricted free agent Jeff Teague to Milwaukee to reunite with former Hawks coach Larry Drew. ESPN.com reported early in free agency that the Bucks, at Drew’s behest, had interest.
Larry Drew also watched the mess that was the Ellis/Jennings backcourt in Milwaukee and would not want to replicate it in Atlanta. It should never be replicated anywhere ever again.
If the Hawks are out, apparently the Sacramento Kings could be in the Monta Ellis sweepstakes, Stein reports.
The big question out there is what size deal Ellis eventually lands — remember he reportedly turned down two years, $24 million, so he is going to want more years and a larger overall paycheck. Ellis is an inefficient shooter who doesn’t play much defense, but he will put up points because he will shoot plenty.
The smart money has him landing in Atlanta right now, but know that other situations are in play.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36