Jul 8, 2013, 10:39 AM EST
The most likely scenario out there has Monta Ellis landing in Atlanta next season; they are the clear and away frontrunners for his services. Ellis with the ball, Kyle Korver as the sharpshooter on the wing, Paul Millsap and Al Horford on the front line… that’s a solid playoff team in the East (albeit one with some defensive questions).
Sources briefed on the situation told ESPN.com that the Hawks and Bucks have in recent days discussed a sign-and-trade deal to land Brandon Jennings in Atlanta and send fellow restricted free agent Jeff Teague to Milwaukee to reunite with former Hawks coach Larry Drew. ESPN.com reported early in free agency that the Bucks, at Drew’s behest, had interest.
Larry Drew also watched the mess that was the Ellis/Jennings backcourt in Milwaukee and would not want to replicate it in Atlanta. It should never be replicated anywhere ever again.
If the Hawks are out, apparently the Sacramento Kings could be in the Monta Ellis sweepstakes, Stein reports.
The big question out there is what size deal Ellis eventually lands — remember he reportedly turned down two years, $24 million, so he is going to want more years and a larger overall paycheck. Ellis is an inefficient shooter who doesn’t play much defense, but he will put up points because he will shoot plenty.
The smart money has him landing in Atlanta right now, but know that other situations are in play.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16