Jul 8, 2013, 10:39 AM EST
The most likely scenario out there has Monta Ellis landing in Atlanta next season; they are the clear and away frontrunners for his services. Ellis with the ball, Kyle Korver as the sharpshooter on the wing, Paul Millsap and Al Horford on the front line… that’s a solid playoff team in the East (albeit one with some defensive questions).
Sources briefed on the situation told ESPN.com that the Hawks and Bucks have in recent days discussed a sign-and-trade deal to land Brandon Jennings in Atlanta and send fellow restricted free agent Jeff Teague to Milwaukee to reunite with former Hawks coach Larry Drew. ESPN.com reported early in free agency that the Bucks, at Drew’s behest, had interest.
Larry Drew also watched the mess that was the Ellis/Jennings backcourt in Milwaukee and would not want to replicate it in Atlanta. It should never be replicated anywhere ever again.
If the Hawks are out, apparently the Sacramento Kings could be in the Monta Ellis sweepstakes, Stein reports.
The big question out there is what size deal Ellis eventually lands — remember he reportedly turned down two years, $24 million, so he is going to want more years and a larger overall paycheck. Ellis is an inefficient shooter who doesn’t play much defense, but he will put up points because he will shoot plenty.
The smart money has him landing in Atlanta right now, but know that other situations are in play.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)