Jul 8, 2013, 12:26 AM EST
You knew if Kevin Durant was going to get married, that woman was going to have to love basketball.
Monica Wright, a guard with the WNBA’s Minnesota Lynx, confirmed to the Star Tribune Sunday night after a game that she and Durant are engaged. Gossip Web site MediaTakeOut.com had the news first. The couple reportedly has known each other since high school and they have been dating for several months.
They have some things in common, starting with they are both 24 years. Also both were taken No. 2 overall in their respective drafts — Wright was taken No. 2 by Lynx and this season she is averaging 9 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.5 assists a game. Wright had a season high 19 points in Minnesota’s comfortable 91-59 win
Durant has three years left on his max extension with Oklahoma City (and signing with Jay-Z doesn’t mean he is bolting). She’s a Texas native, the same state where Durant went to college, hopefully she doesn’t mind living just a little north of there for a while.
We wish them all the best. Let us know where to send the blender as a gift.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 9
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8