Jul 8, 2013, 12:26 AM EDT
You knew if Kevin Durant was going to get married, that woman was going to have to love basketball.
Monica Wright, a guard with the WNBA’s Minnesota Lynx, confirmed to the Star Tribune Sunday night after a game that she and Durant are engaged. Gossip Web site MediaTakeOut.com had the news first. The couple reportedly has known each other since high school and they have been dating for several months.
They have some things in common, starting with they are both 24 years. Also both were taken No. 2 overall in their respective drafts — Wright was taken No. 2 by Lynx and this season she is averaging 9 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.5 assists a game. Wright had a season high 19 points in Minnesota’s comfortable 91-59 win
Durant has three years left on his max extension with Oklahoma City (and signing with Jay-Z doesn’t mean he is bolting). She’s a Texas native, the same state where Durant went to college, hopefully she doesn’t mind living just a little north of there for a while.
We wish them all the best. Let us know where to send the blender as a gift.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 19
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65