Kevin Durant gets engaged to WNBA’s Monica Wright

Jul 8, 2013, 12:26 AM EDT

Monica Wright Getty Images

You knew if Kevin Durant was going to get married, that woman was going to have to love basketball.

Monica Wright, a guard with the WNBA’s Minnesota Lynx, confirmed to the Star Tribune Sunday night after a game that she and Durant are engaged. Gossip Web site MediaTakeOut.com had the news first. The couple reportedly has known each other since high school and they have been dating for several months.

They have some things in common, starting with they are both 24 years. Also both were taken No. 2 overall in their respective drafts — Wright was taken No. 2 by Lynx and this season she is averaging 9 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.5 assists a game. Wright had a season high 19 points in Minnesota’s comfortable 91-59 win

Durant has three years left on his max extension with Oklahoma City (and signing with Jay-Z doesn’t mean he is bolting). She’s a Texas native, the same state where Durant went to college, hopefully she doesn’t mind living just a little north of there for a while.

We wish them all the best. Let us know where to send the blender as a gift.

1. dgbk - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Durant is not a texan native, he spent one year in the state playin college ball. He is from the D.C./ maryland area if im not mistaken. then again Don’t take my word for it this article below posted on a lil site I visit mentioned how he debuted his new line of sneaker in D.C. First.

2. pauliewalnuts90 - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Pretty sure Wright is from Virginia. Or at least spent the majority of her life there and that’s how KD knows her because DC is basically Virginia/Maryland.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

———————————————————————————————————————-

I guess Derek Jeter will marry a Second Baseman, so he can turn the double play when he
      retires.

3. soundsofsuccess7 - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM

What the… Okay then…

4. steelers4385 - Jul 8, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Ewww

5. bigmeechy74 - Jul 8, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Alright. The author can’t acknowledge the elephant in the room but I will. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life. This guy is in his early 20’s, makes more money and has more fame and talent than almost anyone. Basically he is better off than 99.999999999999999% of the population. Which means he could have almost any woman in the world. And not just one. Multiple top notch women. AND HE CHOOSES TO GET ENGAGED TO HER????????????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORST. DECISION. EVER!!!!

• 00maltliquor - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Okay, where do I start….initially, as a man, and ONLY going off of the pic above, that was my first thought as well.

Without getting too preachy or sounding full of Sugar Honey Ice Tea, who knows this woman’s true nature and character. She could be the downest, dopest, chick alive in KD’s eyes. Maybe he’s marrying for love and longevity and not looks and drama. And drama. And more drama. Or a chance she’d end up on Basketball Wives.

Congrats to Durant. Hope y’all stay together forever the way a marriage was intended and are getting hitched for all the right reasons. Much respect.

I got lucky when I got married, truth be told, my wife is HOTTT and real and down to Earth plus a lot of super rare combinations. But I am not famous or mega rich, I could only imagine how hard it is to be young, rich and famous, trying to find the right chick. Not a gold digging tramp looking to get a meal ticket along with infamy and fortune. And who knows maybe the kitty is real gooood. ;-)

• 00maltliquor - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:33 AM

Really PBT, why did this get blocked?^

• icelovinbrotha215 - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:58 AM

So he is doing the smart thing. He is going with a women who he knew prior to him ‘making it.’ Just because you are rich and/or famous doesn’t mean that one should go sleeping around and find the hottest woman(s). That same mentality will get one abused, used and left alone. I’m glad he stuck with his roots. Hopefully it works out for both of them. God intended for one man and one woman to come together and stay together. Unfortunately, we would rather do the opposite.

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I agree with you about getting with a girl prior to him being famous. There is something to be said for that. But leave the God stuff out of this. You don’t know what God intended and neither do I. Because no one knows if there even is a God out there. You have no right to judge and tell people how they are supposed to live just because your religion tells you something…….. P.S. It’s 2013, Humans should understand by now that Adam and Eve and Noah’s ark aren’t true stories.

• louderthanwords1 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Lol bigmeechy you go from judging Durant and his choices to telling someone else they have no right to judge others based on their religion. Can you say hypocrite?

• raysfan1 - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

If you follow KD at all, read his Twitter page, etc, you would have to realize that he takes “the God stuff” very seriously himself. For him the “worst. decision. ever” would be to follow the path you described in your first comment. Instead, he has made one of the best decisions ever.

• hollywood26 - Jul 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Its obvious you didnt play. If you had you would know that all those women want the basketball player and his check rather than the man. I would rather have someone who wants me for me.

• tigger369 - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM

@hollywood26, “I would rather have someone who wants me for me”, perfectly said my man!

• fanofevilempire - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Adam and Eve
        Adam and Steve

• fanofevilempire - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

some woman like other woman too.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM

There is nothing better in life than being in love. Kudos for him for finding that.

• hodag54501 - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Gee, the idea that you might care for someone that isn’t a supermodel is lost on you? Who is the person we should pity the most?

What is also disturbing about this are the factual errors made by the author. It’s called credibility dude, do some research.

• sjbrown8 - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

He is getting married to a woman he has known for years and who has established herself as a professional (aka she has goals, has demonstrated the maturity to support herself financially, and has values).

So you are telling me that it’s better to be like Dwight Howard (unmarried with ~5 children all by different women); Michael Jordan (divorced, remarried to a woman +15 years younger, random love children from different women); Kobe Bryant (…Colorado. Enough said).

Sounds backwards to me…

• 24thesho - Jul 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Also, your comment reads so shallow.

• 24thesho - Jul 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Yo, let me tell you somethin’. He could have gone that “high end” way, but the one thing anyone can clearly see is, Kevin Durant is a normal, down to earth and sensible type of guy. Also, when Monica Wright is not making pro basketball, driving to the hoop faces (which one would expect to see from any pro ball player), she’s pretty fine. Kobe’s wife is really fine but I’m not trying to buy a $70,000 apology ring fa no one, even if I did cheat on my wife. So, your comment is a bit weak.

6. apkyletexas - Jul 8, 2013 at 2:40 AM

She’s a better ball handler – turns it over about half as often as Durant. Maybe she can get him to improve that part of his game.

7. mannyicey - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Wow. That’s fantastic!

I hope that someone would please lock up the deal for their kid!

8. jdammo - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Monica Wright is also the name of Sanaa Lathan’s character, who also was in the WNBA, in the movie, “Love and Basketball.” So KD just got engaged to probably the the perfect girl for him, with the perfect basketball name.

9. dale19357116 - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Durant,Monica Wright is a”BEAUTIFUL BLACKWOMAN and Intelligent.Durant,You’re my kind of “BLACKMAN”.

• hatesycophants - Jul 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

She is physically unattractive and it has nothing to do with ethnicity. She may be the most wonderful person on earth and they may be well suited, but photos capture physical images.

People like you help to perpetuate racialism and keep racism alive.

Pathetic.

• wisconsinhillfolk - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM

My post recognizing you as a bigot was deleted. I just want you to know we still know you’re a bigot, but the d-bags who run this site have their own agenda. Bigot.

10. 2bemoore43 - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:11 AM

@Icelovinbrotha: its bad enuff that you bring your religious views on to PFT, but then when they are baseless views its worse. you familiar with the word concubine? Soloman, David, & Abraham all had them. Solomon had 300. read more talk less…. & dont pour religion into my sports.

• therealmissjj - Jul 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Actually @2bemoore43 @lcelovinbrotha has it right. If you actually read the bible in more depth you’ll find that the PUNISHMENT for Solomon having 300 concubines (that served other God’s) was that the kingdom would be rent from his son who would reign after him. There was a punishment because it wasn’t pleasing to God. It is true, God intended for one man and one woman to be together. Just because the story of Solomon’s concubines is in the bible, doesn’t mean that it was God’s will. There are many historical accounts of all sorts of evils that men did in the bible. Doesn’t mean we should patter ourselves after them. Anywho, as long as Kevin D is in God’s will then I’m happy for him!

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM

You know what’s hilarious? I got one of my comments blocked on this thread for writing down a couple bible verses to argue with the other religious guy. Basically, the old testament is so offensive that it can get you blocked. I copy and pasted them directly from the bible. Hosea 13:16, Exodus 21 7-11, Deuteronomy 22:28-29 are just some of the repulsive verses that we supposedly “get our morals” from.

• Metaphor - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I do believe that God or Jehovah did not agree with many of the cultural practices that mankind engaged in that defied his laws. However Jehovah did not interfere with man,s choices he gave them freewill. The concubine was also something he did not agree with. But God does not force a person to choose right from wrong. He puts it out their in the bible allows man to make his choice. I am not a particularly religious man, but I am just discerning the actions of God. If you knew the greater sense of what the bible speaks of maybe you would view it for its present day applications in our lives.

• Kurt Helin - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

The Bible also said I could sell my daughters into slavery…. not sure that applies now. Did God change his mind on slavery?

• Metaphor - Jul 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Guess you are not Listening. God does not agree with most of Mans Ungodly behaviors. But he wants you to change freely not under coersion

• censoredpost - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Well said. Besides, my sky god Puff says its ok for girl on girl. And he’s not the only one. Just ask J.Smith, Alah, El Olhim or just about any one of the Over 1300 know deities since the beginning of written history (Sumerians) . Silly Christians.

11. dapip82 - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Did anyone else notice she has the same name as the character in “Love & Basketball” played by Sanaa Lathan….that’s kinda cool!!!

12. saint1997 - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Awkward if one gets traded

• raysfan1 - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Why? Their respective teams are in different states already.

13. rmfields - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM

And with the first pick of the 2032 W/NBA draft, the ________ take _______ Durant.

I hear Kentucky has already secured a letter of intent from Kevin Durant’s sperm.

• guyaneserj - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM

LOL

14. camicam83 - Jul 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Monica is a beautiful woman. That is just an unflattering picture that was taken when she was working. Do a google search on her and you will see pics of how she looks normally, hair and make up done dressed cute. She is easily as pretty as any of the lazy, talentless, gold diggers who lurk around athletes hoping to score their meal tickets. The difference between her and them though is that she is talented, she has her own career, she knew her fiancé before he was famous and she is genuine. If anybody has anything negative to say about that you need to pull your head out of your a–.

15. apmn - Jul 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM

She must have beat him at NBA Jam.

16. tigers182 - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Their child will be an accountant.

17. sg419 - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

NIKE just signed his sperm to an endorsement deal

• bballerjones - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Another NUT JOB has joined the fold! Please, go to some other website to yuck it up! What you’ve posted ain’t funny!!! :(

18. beerndrums - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Wow…she isn’t a white blond haired bimbo…that’s pretty uncommon

19. dezglobal - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

You can’t choose who you fall in love with. God bless them.

• bballerjones - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Kevin Durant is doing the HUMAN thing. He’s marrying because he has found his soul mate, one who he is deeply in love with! He is not only a great basketball player, he is a great h
      human being who gives of himself.(Check out what he’s given following the Moore, Okla. tornado!) Monica Wright is lovely not only in his eyes but in the eyes of many. I congratulate boy Monica and Kevin. May you have many years of marriage and togetherness like me and my spouse. Thirty-two(32)years and still going!!!!

20. tabarnouche - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I pity the opponents who play against their children.

21. mudhead123 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Please don’t have children

• louderthanwords1 - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Something tells me people tell you that all the time.

22. yuwannano - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Oh KD! You’re only 24! Why the rush to the alter??

23. anhdazman - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Congrats Kevin Durant, 1000 years of happiness to you and your wife.

Now I hope she weakens your mojo so my GSW can move ahead of you guys next year!

24. nolahxc - Jul 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

They’re gonna have super kids.

25. 2bemoore43 - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM

@Msjj…… Jesus Christ (if you follow bible lineage) is of the line of Soloman, David, & Abraham. so your claims of punishment are also false. the bible also deemed Soloman as the wisest man to ever live. please read more ‘christians’ you do a disservice to your faith by speaking so ignorantly.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches