Jason Kidd gets technical in first game as coach… in Summer League (VIDEO)

Jul 8, 2013, 9:15 AM EST

It’s not that easy to get a technical in Summer League, it’s a much more chill than the NBA season. Scores and standings are kept and there is in theory a championship to be won, but all that really matters is to find out who maybe can and who definitely cannot play in the NBA. It’s about player development.

But in his first game as a coach, Jason Kidd got a technical for arguing a call.

Down four with 2:33 left in the game, Kidd called his Nets to foul Andre Drummond off the ball and send him to the free throw line (hack-a-Drummond, I guess). Which is unusual in Summer League, to say the least. But the referee didn’t see it and former Louisville guard Peyton Siva drove to the rim and drew a foul.

A frustrated Kidd strolled out of the coach’s box (past halfcourt) to inform the officials of the missed call. He got T’d up for coming too far down the court. He told Newsday he still has a few things to learn.

“We were trying to foul a player and the referee missed it and it led to free throws,” Kidd said Sunday after making his debut as a coach in the Nets’ 76-67 loss to Detroit in summer league action. “So I tried to express to the referees that they missed what we were trying to do. It happens. They are not perfect, we are not perfect. So it’s a lesson learned that I know I can’t go past half-court.”

Hat tip to Eye on Basketball

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Just relax everyone. All he did was walk too far from the bench. It’s not like he punched his wife in the face or drive drunk into a Hamptons power pole or anything.

2. dezglobal - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Brooklyn is going to be fun to watch this season.

• uncledrew22 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Andre Drummond is going to be fun to watch this season. He’s a beast, 12 pts 18 boards and 6 blocks in a summer league game. If he gets his offense together, watch out !!

3. BigBeachBall - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

2nd round

4. pauliewalnuts90 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I wonder if Billy King asked Kidd if he knew the rules during the interview process…

5. caeser12 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I’m sorry, but am I the only one who feels like this isn’t going to end well for Kidd? The only games I see him out-coaching his opponent will be, when he faces the Coach of my team, Mike “I haven’t got a clue” Woodson.

Go NY.

6. dondada10 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I get the impression that Lawrence Frank is going to be doing the majority of the scheming.

7. sportsguy88 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Lol at 1972.

Anyways, I thought head coaches couldn’t coach summer league games?

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches