Jul 8, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
Utah guard Randy Foye, a free agent, might go to the Nuggets on a three-year, $9 million contract (with a team option for the third year), according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports. If that happens, the teams are discussing turning the deals a three-way trade, Wojnarowski says.
It sounds like all previous reported details would remain in place, but Iguodala would technically go to Golden State in a sign-and-trade and Foye would be included. That would prevent the Warriors from dipping below the salary-cap line, thus preserving their non-taxpayer mid-level exception. Without a sign-and-trade, Golden State would gain cap space to sign Iguodala, lose the higher mid-level exception the process and be limited to just the room exception.
A sign-and-trade of Iguodala would also help the Nuggets, who would get a trade exception worth the first-year salary of Iguodala (about $12 million).
So, what’s in it for the Jazz? By default, nothing. But the other teams that want the deal could help. Wojnarowski:
Golden State would send Utah a future second-round pick for its role in facilitating the deal.
Long story short, the Warriors, Nuggets and Jazz are conspiring to make complicated transactions more complicated. For their their troubles, the Warriors get a few extra million to spend on free agents, the Nuggets get a large trade exception they can use to facilitate trades in the next year, and the Jazz get a second-round pick.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47