Jul 7, 2013, 3:06 AM EDT
The Atlanta Hawks have made a couple free agent splashes this summer already, landing former Jazz forward Paul Millsap and sharpshooter Kyle Korver. Those two could pair well with Al Horford in the paint.
Does Monta Ellis?
We may find out as the Hawks are targeting Ellis, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
With the future of restricted free agent point guard Jeff Teague still uncertain, Atlanta has roughly $10 million in available salary-cap space to potentially use on Ellis. Sources say that the Hawks have also given center Andrew Bynum some thought, but all the latest signals suggest that Ellis is the Hawks’ top current target.
The Hawks had targeted Ellis back at the trade deadline but it didn’t work out.
Atlanta likely would offer a short-term deal, a couple of years, just like the Millsap deal ($19 million over two years). That would allow the Hawks to field a potential playoff team in the East but maintain their flexibility to go after bigger targets down the line.
Ellis likely will push for a longer deal. He reportedly turned down an extension of two years and $24 million from the Bucks, he will get less per year but would like the security of a longer deal.
The Nuggets reportedly have interest in Ellis also. The Mavericks were in the discussion but spent their money already on other players.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 19
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 27
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 51
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18