Jul 7, 2013, 3:06 AM EST
The Atlanta Hawks have made a couple free agent splashes this summer already, landing former Jazz forward Paul Millsap and sharpshooter Kyle Korver. Those two could pair well with Al Horford in the paint.
Does Monta Ellis?
We may find out as the Hawks are targeting Ellis, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
With the future of restricted free agent point guard Jeff Teague still uncertain, Atlanta has roughly $10 million in available salary-cap space to potentially use on Ellis. Sources say that the Hawks have also given center Andrew Bynum some thought, but all the latest signals suggest that Ellis is the Hawks’ top current target.
The Hawks had targeted Ellis back at the trade deadline but it didn’t work out.
Atlanta likely would offer a short-term deal, a couple of years, just like the Millsap deal ($19 million over two years). That would allow the Hawks to field a potential playoff team in the East but maintain their flexibility to go after bigger targets down the line.
Ellis likely will push for a longer deal. He reportedly turned down an extension of two years and $24 million from the Bucks, he will get less per year but would like the security of a longer deal.
The Nuggets reportedly have interest in Ellis also. The Mavericks were in the discussion but spent their money already on other players.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)