Jul 7, 2013, 3:06 AM EST
The Atlanta Hawks have made a couple free agent splashes this summer already, landing former Jazz forward Paul Millsap and sharpshooter Kyle Korver. Those two could pair well with Al Horford in the paint.
Does Monta Ellis?
We may find out as the Hawks are targeting Ellis, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
With the future of restricted free agent point guard Jeff Teague still uncertain, Atlanta has roughly $10 million in available salary-cap space to potentially use on Ellis. Sources say that the Hawks have also given center Andrew Bynum some thought, but all the latest signals suggest that Ellis is the Hawks’ top current target.
The Hawks had targeted Ellis back at the trade deadline but it didn’t work out.
Atlanta likely would offer a short-term deal, a couple of years, just like the Millsap deal ($19 million over two years). That would allow the Hawks to field a potential playoff team in the East but maintain their flexibility to go after bigger targets down the line.
Ellis likely will push for a longer deal. He reportedly turned down an extension of two years and $24 million from the Bucks, he will get less per year but would like the security of a longer deal.
The Nuggets reportedly have interest in Ellis also. The Mavericks were in the discussion but spent their money already on other players.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7