Jul 7, 2013, 3:06 AM EDT
The Atlanta Hawks have made a couple free agent splashes this summer already, landing former Jazz forward Paul Millsap and sharpshooter Kyle Korver. Those two could pair well with Al Horford in the paint.
Does Monta Ellis?
We may find out as the Hawks are targeting Ellis, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
With the future of restricted free agent point guard Jeff Teague still uncertain, Atlanta has roughly $10 million in available salary-cap space to potentially use on Ellis. Sources say that the Hawks have also given center Andrew Bynum some thought, but all the latest signals suggest that Ellis is the Hawks’ top current target.
The Hawks had targeted Ellis back at the trade deadline but it didn’t work out.
Atlanta likely would offer a short-term deal, a couple of years, just like the Millsap deal ($19 million over two years). That would allow the Hawks to field a potential playoff team in the East but maintain their flexibility to go after bigger targets down the line.
Ellis likely will push for a longer deal. He reportedly turned down an extension of two years and $24 million from the Bucks, he will get less per year but would like the security of a longer deal.
The Nuggets reportedly have interest in Ellis also. The Mavericks were in the discussion but spent their money already on other players.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 43
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31