Jul 7, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Phil Jackson, still taking little digs at other cities just like when he was coaching.
Jackson had tweeted he wanted him to stay a Laker and now has chimed in on Dwight Howard deciding to play in Houston and his first thought is that the Lakers will be fine. Which depends on how you define “fine.” In Kobe Bryant’s championship-or-bust mode I’m not sure they’re fine, but they still have a potentially bright future.
Then he says he’ll be fine as an Astro. Classic Phil.
Jackson echoed what Howard has said — Howard feels this is the best move for him. I have said I think Howard made the best basketball choice and here is why — the Rockets with James Harden and a healthy Howard, plus the talented role players around them, have a potential championship core right now.
Could the Lakers get one via free agency next summer (same with the Mavericks)? Certainly, they could. But Houston has that right now. Which leads to something we heard out of the meetings (and J.A. Adande of ESPN reported before) — Jim Buss didn’t impress Howard’s camp much during the pitch. Howard didn’t trust this Buss and Mike D’Antoni to be able to build what already existed in Houston.
The Rockets are in the conversation, now it falls to Howard to make this a reality. Much like with LeBron James’ decision, a lot of the criticism of him jumping ship dies away with a ring or two. But now Howard has to earn that.
Phil Jackson has 11 rings. He can say whatever he wants.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28