Michael Carter-Williams impresses in Summer League debut with Sixers

Jul 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

The NBA’s Summer League tipped off in Orlando on Sunday, where it will be held through July 12. Once that’s complete, the event shifts to a larger-scale operation in Las Vegas for 10 days from the 12th through the 22nd.

It’s our first chance to see this year’s draft picks in action, and the player selected by the Sixers with the 11th overall pick put together a solid performance in his first professional opportunity to do so.

Michael Carter-Williams had a few nice finishes like the one seen in the video clip above, and ended up with 26 points, seven rebounds, and eight assists.

At a shooting mark of 8-for-23, the field goal percentage wasn’t great, and he did finish the game with nine turnovers. But to be fair, the Rockets brought a much more experienced squad with guys like Patrick Beverley and Greg Smith logging substantial minutes, and their defense was swarming the entire game.

“I went in there with a lot of confidence,” Carter-Williams said of his pro debut, via CSNPhilly.com. “I try to do everything for my team to win but we came up short. It is a long process and a learning experience. I am going to take things from today and try and fix them for tomorrow.”

Summer League is about players getting a first chance to develop and adjust to the NBA style before the real games are played just a few months from now, and Carter-Williams definitely showed some signs in his debut for the Sixers.

All Summer League games played in both Orlando and Las Vegas can be streamed live through NBA.com.

1. saint1997 - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Wow I didn’t really see him finding much success – that’s a surprise game there. He does have extraordinary athleticism though

2. tcclark - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

His size at the point will be very tough to guard. The kid looks like a small forward out there.

3. kavika6 - Jul 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM

He looks about 12 years old in that picture.

4. motobus - Jul 7, 2013 at 1:14 PM

The Sixers will have a very tall lineup when Noel gets back.

Carter-Williams, Turner, Young, Hawes, Noel.

I guess thats one thing to look forward to this year as they’re drudging it up.

• tcclark - Jul 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

yeah except Thad won’t play the three. Depending on the coach, he will start at the 4 or come off the bench. He is a power forward and has played almost no minutes at the 3 spot in the past few years and very little throughout his career. Really the only person that gave him some time at the 3 was Eddie Jordan

• cflip376 - Jul 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Don’t think Turner, Hawes, and possibly Thad are going be here much longer, especially Turner and Hawes considering our new gm is a stats guy.

• 76ersdiehl - Jul 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I agree, I made the point to Cous. on 94 wip that I don’t see the harm in trying to maximize the talent on our roster & start Thad at the 3 for the first 25 games. Next season is a wash and hopefully horrible so what’s the worst that can happen? I know he lacks speed, the handle required of most 3’s & he’s a back to the basket type of player but I would like to see what would happen. I thought he was slightly overmatched against Melo but he never backed down and I don’t see him lying over playing dead like E.T. I keep having nightmares about the play where he stands there with his bug eyed look he does while LeBron James moves toward the rim for a uncontested dunks. Those millions of dollars E.T. is making is to stop stuff like that from happening..

• 76ersdiehl - Jul 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

(part 2)…We have an abundance of 4’s & one less 3 with Wright’s departure. Lavoy, Moultrie, Royce White, Kazemi.. Hell, you’ve got two stretch 4’s in Noel & Hawes. I think it might be logical to see what Moultrie has, hope White realizes if he doesn’t find a way to conquer his fear of flying his phobia willhave cost him millions of dollars. Can Kazemi bring enough at the 4 in the NBA despite his size disadvantage? Who are we going to see, rookie season Lavoy who held his own against KG in the playoffs or regressed version that just didn’t have it last year? As far as Angelo is concerned he believes Noels is more of a 4 than a 5, at least definitely right now. That’s a huge logjam at the power forward position if you ask me. Could be Thaddeus or one the other power forwards will be gone in the near future. It could be, because the Sixers are collecting 4’s like a squirrel collects nuts. I personally like the blue collar effort Young brings on a regular basis and it would be nice to seem him lead this new team that is in the process of being developed..

• somekat - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:21 AM

1 Noel isn’t a 4. he can’t shoot. He has to fill out into his body, but he’s just not a 4. He is certainly in no way, shape, or form a stretch 4. He’s athletic, and can jump out of the gym, so if he can’t add bulk, or it turn out to hurt his game, he could probably play as a 4, but he would not be a stretch, and would clog the middle on offense, unless you had a 5 that could shoot from the outside. Would he be a better PF this year? Yeah. Does anyone care about this year? No. The reason Noel was such a coup was because athletic shot blocking 5’s don’t come along often, especially at 6. Let him show you if he can do it before you decide to shift him to another spot because he doesn’t fit some strange physical mold (the same one that would of forced Dirk to play 5, shaq out of the league when he was at 400 lbs, and steve nash bagging groceries somewhere). Let the kids play speak for itself

2 Angelo Cataldi is a moron, if you are listening to his opinion on something, the opposite is usually true. The only actual sports knowledge that can be pulled from the morning show on WIP is hockey, from Al Morganti, and Keith Jones when he is there (who both openly, and regularly will say they don’t know much about the other sports)

• 76ersdiehl - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Maybe in the future Noel will be a 5 which is what I’m hoping. Noel right now would be every center in the league’s bitch. He’s only 20 to 40 pounds bigger than my 6ft, 185 pound pg self. I applaud your belief in him, but he’s light as a feather and would get bodied on a nightly basis. It would be hard to watch and I could see him getting injured trying to bang with the big boys.

5. 13arod - Jul 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

9 turnovers that is way too much and 8 -23 shotting needs to improve

6. syracuse1105 - Jul 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

The 8 for 23 is why he needs to shoot less and pass more unless and until he can start hitting a much higher percentage of his shots. I think he is in a favorable position in Philly and will have some time to mature as Philly put pieces around him and his prep school teammate Noel.

• biasedhomer - Jul 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I don’t think Philly is the best spot for him. He needs some scorers around him, and that’s what the Sixers lack for him.

Look at how Rondo developed in Boston. He was always looking to pass to KG, Peirce, and Allen, and he only took shots when he was absolutely forced to. Now his shot has improved a bit and he is more confident.

But I do like MCW’s upside, but I expect his rookies season to be full of turnovers and low FG percentage to go along with good defense and some amazing passes here and there.

• tfoz5150 - Jul 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM

That’s why we’re going to get Andrew Wiggins and another top pick scorer in the draft next year. Be patient.

7. pike573 - Jul 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Nice stat line and nice finishes, but at 8-23 and 9 TOs I would call that performance “uneven”

• tcclark - Jul 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM

We waited 2 years for Evan Turner to shoot 23 shots in a game. I like the aggressiveness he showed. Obviously he needs to shoot better, but I like a kid who recognizes that he is the best player on the court. Evan Turner was the National Player of the year and looked horrible in Summer League. I’m happy with the stat line even if it wasnt efficient.

8. stainlesssteellegends - Jul 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

He’s a stud PG, and after all is said and done, we are all going to look back on these trades and acquisition of draft picks and be thankful that we ripped up mediocrity for something special.

9. gogatorsjohn - Jul 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Oladipo had nice day as well. But had too many turnovers also but solid overall.

10. htownred34 - Jul 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I was watching and he looked good out there, needs to work on limiting his turnovers 6 in one half is no good. His shooting was also below average cuz he missed every jumper I saw him take, but as a slasher and passer he is excellent and I was impressed…

11. ChandlerMc - Jul 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Here’s hoping the Wells Fargo Center becomes Tank At The Bank this coming season. I’d be happy with the Sixers if they show some improvement but lose many close games. Lets go the Full Wiggins this year and hopefully get a Top 3 pick plus another one in Top 10 (from New Orleans).

12. EvanZ - Jul 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

8 of 23 and 9 tov, but let’s show the really great highlight so fans think he’s amazing.

• tfoz5150 - Jul 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM

don’t hate

13. themagicfanguy - Jul 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Oladipo was solid. 18pts/7ast/6stl/4-5rebs I think. Too many turnovers and shot a low percentage, but not bad for a rookie playing his first game at PG.

14. mjrm16 - Jul 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM

8/23…..that’s kobe-like performance….

15. birdgang - Jul 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I don’t know if you would call an 8/23, 9 turnover performance impressive. He showed some great things today but the most important thing for an NBA point guard is being efficient with the basketball. Shooting like that and turning the ball over that many times is way more concerning to me.

16. philadelphiafan - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Anybody else see eerily similar playing styles between MCW and Evan Turner?? I really would like to see the Sixers hold on to Turner and see if he can finally prove himself as a leader/scorer/#2 pick now that Holiday is gone and there’s no other player on the team that is that much better than him. I think Turner needs to know that he’s the best player on the team to have that confidence to score consistently.

• somekat - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM

if that’s the case, it is a problem. Because is Turner is the best play on the team, you are never going anywhere. So if he needs that to have the confidence he needs, your team needs to be pretty bad for him to be confident

17. somekat - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I’m more worried about the rest of his stats, the 26 points really doesn’t matter much. To me, to fit what the sixers will need/want from him in the future, he needs to run the offense, limit turnovers, play lock down d, and hit an open shot when called upon. Developing a post game to abuse his size advantage over other PG’s would be a bonus.

If the franchise is going to be built the way I think it will be, the “scorers” on the team will come in next years draft and FA with all the cap space. I see Carter-Williams as good, not great complimentary piece, and Noel as the anchor in the middle/terror on the boards. I’m not saying they will add those high volume scorers next year, but I think that is the plan.
    After all, a team with Noel in the middle (if he can add some weight and proves healthy), Carter-Williams at the point (assuming he can work on his turnover issues) Wiggins on the wing (assuming they are as horrible as everyone assumes, and get a little luck in the lottery), Thad Young coming off the bench, and another top 10 talent in a loaded draft (Pelicans pick), this team could look VERY attractive to a max FA, knowing he could recruit another max FA to come with him and join that young group.
    That’s why I think they’ve been hesitant to hire a coach, the new GM wanted to put his plan in place and show people what he wanted to do to make the job more attractive. If they can’t lure a big name with promises of future talent this year, I’d expect them to hire a short experience, low cost guy, that they can replace without much financial loss if they do get Wiggins and have all that cap space to lure FA’s

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches