Jul 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The NBA’s Summer League tipped off in Orlando on Sunday, where it will be held through July 12. Once that’s complete, the event shifts to a larger-scale operation in Las Vegas for 10 days from the 12th through the 22nd.
It’s our first chance to see this year’s draft picks in action, and the player selected by the Sixers with the 11th overall pick put together a solid performance in his first professional opportunity to do so.
Michael Carter-Williams had a few nice finishes like the one seen in the video clip above, and ended up with 26 points, seven rebounds, and eight assists.
At a shooting mark of 8-for-23, the field goal percentage wasn’t great, and he did finish the game with nine turnovers. But to be fair, the Rockets brought a much more experienced squad with guys like Patrick Beverley and Greg Smith logging substantial minutes, and their defense was swarming the entire game.
“I went in there with a lot of confidence,” Carter-Williams said of his pro debut, via CSNPhilly.com. “I try to do everything for my team to win but we came up short. It is a long process and a learning experience. I am going to take things from today and try and fix them for tomorrow.”
Summer League is about players getting a first chance to develop and adjust to the NBA style before the real games are played just a few months from now, and Carter-Williams definitely showed some signs in his debut for the Sixers.
All Summer League games played in both Orlando and Las Vegas can be streamed live through NBA.com.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 54
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 17
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31