Jul 6, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Warriors were a fun and exciting team last season, as well as one that exceeded expectations. If they’re going to continue that improvement next year, they’ll be doing it without two key reserves, both of whom were lost in free agency.
Jarrett Jack played big point guard minutes for the Warriors off the bench, and was often featured in crunch time lineups. But he has agreed to join the Cavaliers, reports Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group. The deal is for four years and $25 million.
Carl Landry had a player option to return to the Warriors next season for $4 million, but opted out to pursue a bigger, long-term deal. It turned out to be the smart choice, as he has agreed to a four-year deal worth $26 million to play for the Sacramento Kings.
Landry turned down a deal to join the Clippers in favor of returning to Sacramento, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
The Kings have cleaned house internally, and have a new ownership group that installed both a new general manager and a new head coach. Along with the good-sized contract, those had to be no small factors in Landry’s decision to return to the team where he had his best statistical (partial) season in 28 games there to finish out 2010.
There’s no question that with Jack and Landry gone, the Warriors lost some important depth that helped them to such a successful campaign. But they also dumped some bad contracts and went out and signed Andre Iguodala in free agency themselves, so we’ll have to see if the totality of the team’s moves result in a net positive when all is said and done next season.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 28
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25