Jul 6, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
Mavericks fans, how would you like to have Andrew Bynum on your team?
Actually, it’s not that bad a gamble (we’ll get to that) and the Mavericks are serious, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
Mavs' post-Dwight interest in Bynum is legit. They ARE pursuing him. Yet it's been made clear they'll make detailed/careful evaluation first—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 06, 2013
As they should. Very detailed. Philadelphia traded Andre Iguodala for Bynum last year and didn’t get one game out of him, a move that was followed by a front office shakeup there.
But with the right deal this is not a bad gamble for Dallas — a two or three year contract with team options on the second and third years, plus a clause that if he doesn’t play due to a pre-existing knee condition the contract can essentially be voided (this does exist, the Timberwolves had it in Brandon Roy’s deal last year).
The upside is if Bynum is back close to his All-Star self the Mavericks have arguably the best center in the game on their team. If not, they let him go after one year and use the cap space to chase free agents again next summer.
Expect Bynum and his team to be patient, holding out for the best offer now that Dwight Howard has made his call.
- Sunday NBA grades: Nene, Aldridge lead day where big men shine 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s Trail Blazers claw back for Game 1 win over Houston Rockets 3
- Bulls have no answer for Nene as Wizards take Game 1 12
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 18
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 8