Jul 6, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
Mavericks fans, how would you like to have Andrew Bynum on your team?
Actually, it’s not that bad a gamble (we’ll get to that) and the Mavericks are serious, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
Mavs' post-Dwight interest in Bynum is legit. They ARE pursuing him. Yet it's been made clear they'll make detailed/careful evaluation first—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 06, 2013
As they should. Very detailed. Philadelphia traded Andre Iguodala for Bynum last year and didn’t get one game out of him, a move that was followed by a front office shakeup there.
But with the right deal this is not a bad gamble for Dallas — a two or three year contract with team options on the second and third years, plus a clause that if he doesn’t play due to a pre-existing knee condition the contract can essentially be voided (this does exist, the Timberwolves had it in Brandon Roy’s deal last year).
The upside is if Bynum is back close to his All-Star self the Mavericks have arguably the best center in the game on their team. If not, they let him go after one year and use the cap space to chase free agents again next summer.
Expect Bynum and his team to be patient, holding out for the best offer now that Dwight Howard has made his call.
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 55
- Nets announce signing of Jason Collins for remainder of the season 16
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 31
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 43
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 33