Jul 6, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
Dallas’ best point guard, Darren Collison, is a free agent now, so the Mavericks are going with a full-blow youth movement at the position.
Enter 31-year-old Jose Calderon.
The Dallas Mavericks agreed to a deal with point guard Jose Calderon, agent Mark Bartlestein told ESPN.com.
The contract is worth $29 million over four years, sources said.
The NBA is in a golden age of point guards, and nearly every team has a good player to start at the position. Now the Mavericks can add their names to the list.
Calderon averaged 11.3 points, 7.1 assists and 1.7 turnovers per game last season while playing for the Raptors and Pistons, and though his defense leaves plenty to be desired, his offensive prowess makes up for it – especially if his pick-and-roll game is complemented by Dirk Nowitzki’s.
This move adds to the list of circumstantial evidence that the Mavericks are trying to win as much as possible next season.
1. Calderon turned down interest from the Pistons and Kings, saying he wasn’t fond of rebuilding. I’m sure he spoke with the Mavericks about their intentions before agreeing to sign.
2. Dallas just missed the playoffs for the first time in 13 years, and the ultra-competitive and limelight-craving Mark Cuban might not be able to stomach a patient approach.
3. Calderon got a pretty sizable contract – both in length and dollars – for someone his age. If the Mavericks are more concerned about adding quality players in the short term than they are about becoming burdened later by bad contracts, this is a logical signing.
Calderon alone won’t lift a 41-41 team into the playoffs in the tough Western Conference, but he can definitely be a piece of the puzzle
Sep 21, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Our first real look at the new uniforms and new court design.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
I’m pretty sure Popovich doesn’t want him taking one of these in a game.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
He’s going to fight for minutes at a crowded wing spot in Charlotte.
Sep 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Nobody expects much from the Timberwolves or Wiggins this season, outside of a few highlight dunks.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
A team is going to have to pay him at least $2 million a year to make it worth his while.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Neither player made this summer’s final 12-man roster.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Lakers president believes Bryant is ready after he missed all but six games last season due to injury.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Sep 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Rubio may not like it, but Minnesota can retain his rights in restricted free agency next summer.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Big man from Mexico preferred to remain in the NBA, but took the payday to return overseas.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Watch it all the way through.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
With two years left in the NBA, Bryant has an eye on life after basketball.
Sep 20, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
A previous report said Gibson was less than thrilled with remaining a reserve.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Blatche can play, but the NBA offers simply weren’t there.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
10-story-high banner will return after a similar one was taken down when James left in 2010.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Sessions could start at point guard for Sacramento.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Unsurprisingly, Curry supports his backcourt mate 100 percent.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
He had toe surgery in mid-August.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
This is what you want out of these guys.
Tyson Chandler says negative comments questioning his impact on chemistry with Knicks were ‘the ultimate shock’
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Chandler, now with Dallas, fires back at the Knicks.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 2
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18