Jul 6, 2013, 2:10 AM EST
Dallas’ best point guard, Darren Collison, is a free agent now, so the Mavericks are going with a full-blow youth movement at the position.
Enter 31-year-old Jose Calderon.
The Dallas Mavericks agreed to a deal with point guard Jose Calderon, agent Mark Bartlestein told ESPN.com.
The contract is worth $29 million over four years, sources said.
The NBA is in a golden age of point guards, and nearly every team has a good player to start at the position. Now the Mavericks can add their names to the list.
Calderon averaged 11.3 points, 7.1 assists and 1.7 turnovers per game last season while playing for the Raptors and Pistons, and though his defense leaves plenty to be desired, his offensive prowess makes up for it – especially if his pick-and-roll game is complemented by Dirk Nowitzki’s.
This move adds to the list of circumstantial evidence that the Mavericks are trying to win as much as possible next season.
1. Calderon turned down interest from the Pistons and Kings, saying he wasn’t fond of rebuilding. I’m sure he spoke with the Mavericks about their intentions before agreeing to sign.
2. Dallas just missed the playoffs for the first time in 13 years, and the ultra-competitive and limelight-craving Mark Cuban might not be able to stomach a patient approach.
3. Calderon got a pretty sizable contract – both in length and dollars – for someone his age. If the Mavericks are more concerned about adding quality players in the short term than they are about becoming burdened later by bad contracts, this is a logical signing.
Calderon alone won’t lift a 41-41 team into the playoffs in the tough Western Conference, but he can definitely be a piece of the puzzle
Dec 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Stevens dismisses rumors of Indiana University.
Dec 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Knicks guard will be reevaluated in two weeks.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:52 PM EST
Knee injuries have robbed us of the good Gallinari.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Everything went wrong for Sanders and the Bucks last year.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Why else would trade rumors surface 20 games or so into his first season in Charlotte?
Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
The Thunder are right to be cautious here.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
The Bucks went heavy with Brandon Knight at the end of the game. That went about as well as you’d expect.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:46 AM EST
Nine assists but shot 3-of-11.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:16 AM EST
He can do better.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
A final look back at Rondo’s time in Boston as he gets set to make his debut with Dallas.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Cavaliers are tied with the Pistons for 23rd in defensive efficiency.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:11 PM EST
Kings are looking to make a splash, and Williams has been made available in trade by the Nets.
Dec 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Dragic will opt out of the final year of his deal to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
An expletive was added for emphasis.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
No contact on the perimeter, yea he’s up for that.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The Christmas Day slate of games is (mostly) stellar.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Dunk of the year by Johnson had Drummond throwing elbows.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Rivers saw this coming just four games into the season.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Lin understands why Bryant always gets the ball in these situations, but admits he’d like to get some opportunities.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
As the Thunder ended up winning by one, 104-103, this block ended up being very important.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 17
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8