Jul 6, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
Dallas’ best point guard, Darren Collison, is a free agent now, so the Mavericks are going with a full-blow youth movement at the position.
Enter 31-year-old Jose Calderon.
The Dallas Mavericks agreed to a deal with point guard Jose Calderon, agent Mark Bartlestein told ESPN.com.
The contract is worth $29 million over four years, sources said.
The NBA is in a golden age of point guards, and nearly every team has a good player to start at the position. Now the Mavericks can add their names to the list.
Calderon averaged 11.3 points, 7.1 assists and 1.7 turnovers per game last season while playing for the Raptors and Pistons, and though his defense leaves plenty to be desired, his offensive prowess makes up for it – especially if his pick-and-roll game is complemented by Dirk Nowitzki’s.
This move adds to the list of circumstantial evidence that the Mavericks are trying to win as much as possible next season.
1. Calderon turned down interest from the Pistons and Kings, saying he wasn’t fond of rebuilding. I’m sure he spoke with the Mavericks about their intentions before agreeing to sign.
2. Dallas just missed the playoffs for the first time in 13 years, and the ultra-competitive and limelight-craving Mark Cuban might not be able to stomach a patient approach.
3. Calderon got a pretty sizable contract – both in length and dollars – for someone his age. If the Mavericks are more concerned about adding quality players in the short term than they are about becoming burdened later by bad contracts, this is a logical signing.
Calderon alone won’t lift a 41-41 team into the playoffs in the tough Western Conference, but he can definitely be a piece of the puzzle
May 25, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The league had been exploring moving Game 1 up to June 2.
May 25, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Horford was ejected from Game 3.
May 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Cavaliers star says he will research case further before saying more
May 25, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
Doc Rivers decided to offer his mid-level exception money last summer to Spencer Hawes instead of Pierce. He’d like that one over.
May 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Expect a resilient Rockets team on Monday night.
May 25, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Cavaliers center shakes it off
May 25, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
It probably won’t happen, but…
May 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Cavaliers guard disagrees
May 25, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
LeBron finished with 37 points, 18 rebounds and 13 assists .
May 25, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
The Hawks’ night goes from bad to worse.
LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks
May 25, 2015, 12:09 AM EDT
The Cavs are one win away from the Finals.
May 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He’s not wrong.
May 24, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT
A trend is becoming clear: Do not mess with Dellavedova.
May 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The question really is now much do you value the three?
May 24, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Matthew Dellavedova will start for the Cavaliers.
May 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The Lakers will be picking second in next month’s draft.
Report: Heat still considered the frontrunners to re-sign Goran Dragic, but he wants them to play faster
May 24, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Dragic can become a free agent this summer.
May 24, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
The rapper wants Harden to apologize for stealing his dance.
May 24, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Korver suffered an ankle injury in Game 2.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Cleveland has put in a bid for the 2018 event.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 6
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17