Jul 6, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
Dallas’ best point guard, Darren Collison, is a free agent now, so the Mavericks are going with a full-blow youth movement at the position.
Enter 31-year-old Jose Calderon.
The Dallas Mavericks agreed to a deal with point guard Jose Calderon, agent Mark Bartlestein told ESPN.com.
The contract is worth $29 million over four years, sources said.
The NBA is in a golden age of point guards, and nearly every team has a good player to start at the position. Now the Mavericks can add their names to the list.
Calderon averaged 11.3 points, 7.1 assists and 1.7 turnovers per game last season while playing for the Raptors and Pistons, and though his defense leaves plenty to be desired, his offensive prowess makes up for it – especially if his pick-and-roll game is complemented by Dirk Nowitzki’s.
This move adds to the list of circumstantial evidence that the Mavericks are trying to win as much as possible next season.
1. Calderon turned down interest from the Pistons and Kings, saying he wasn’t fond of rebuilding. I’m sure he spoke with the Mavericks about their intentions before agreeing to sign.
2. Dallas just missed the playoffs for the first time in 13 years, and the ultra-competitive and limelight-craving Mark Cuban might not be able to stomach a patient approach.
3. Calderon got a pretty sizable contract – both in length and dollars – for someone his age. If the Mavericks are more concerned about adding quality players in the short term than they are about becoming burdened later by bad contracts, this is a logical signing.
Calderon alone won’t lift a 41-41 team into the playoffs in the tough Western Conference, but he can definitely be a piece of the puzzle
Mar 26, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT
The NBA is the only major sports league featured.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Mutombo had previously denied it.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The Wizards have become stagnant in recent weeks.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Woodson is an assistant with the Clippers now.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Mar 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey? Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey
Mar 26, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Houston own’s Llull’s draft rights
Mar 26, 2015, 1:06 PM EDT
Jazz center makes it look easy
Mar 26, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Thunder guard again confrontational in post-game interview
Mar 26, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
Jazz guard just suddenly went down
Mar 26, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Spurs big man apparently earned $100 by making 3-pointer against Thunder
Mar 26, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Referees miss blatant out of bounds call, clock momentarily stops before restarting
Mar 26, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT
The best matchup of the weekend may be Jakob Poeltl vs. Jahlil Okafor.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:08 AM EDT
That might be fair, but what about all Love’s reasons for being frustrated with Cavaliers?
Mar 26, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Mavericks owner reverses course
Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Raptors crumble in fourth quarter during loss to Chicago
Mar 26, 2015, 2:29 AM EDT
Lionel Messi was hanging out at the most entertaining NBA game of the night.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:15 AM EDT
Not a good look
Mar 25, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Lakers win and hurt their draft position, Timberwolves win and help theirs
Mar 25, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Those are no slouches defending the rim against the Rockets star
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 72
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20