Dwight Howard: Kobe never offered to teach me how to be a champion

Jul 6, 2013, 9:30 AM EST

Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard

Remember when Kobe Bryant tried to get Dwight Howard to stay in Los Angeles by telling him, “Let me teach you how to be a champion”?

Never happened, Howard says.

Howard in a Q&A with Alex Kennedy of Hoops World:

What did you think of Kobe Bryant’s comments that he could teach you how to be a winner?

DH: “He didn’t say anything of that sort. People twisted a lot of stuff that he said. But in my personal opinion, I’m a winner. I’m a winner because I’ve been playing for nine years when the average career for an NBA player is three years. I’m a winner because I made it to the NBA from a small school in Atlanta, GA, with 16 people in a class. I’m a winner because I’m succeeding in life. I’ve had problems and I’m not better than the next man, but I’m going to push myself to be a winner when it comes to winning a championship. But he didn’t say anything like that and a lot of people twisted what he did say.”

There are many ingredients necessary to become an NBA champion.

One is an incredible drive, often becoming a willingness to let basketball come before everything else in your life. Kobe has that skill – maybe even too much of it – but, without a doubt, he has it. (Whether he can actually teach it to Howard is a whole other question.)

But talent is also necessary, and no matter how much teaching Kobe would have done, the Lakers don’t have enough talent. Kobe is old and injured, Pau Gasol is old and Steve Nash is even older. Not to detract from how great those players once were, but this was no longer a championship-caliber team.

The Rockets have the talent to win a championship, or at least come close. There’s no guarantee they’ll learn how to harness it in the playoffs’ toughest moments, but Houston coach Kevin McHale might be capable of teaching the young team how to do it.

I’d rather bank on learning how to be a champion than learning how to be insanely talented. Apparently, Howard agrees.

Latest Posts
  1. Daryl Morey: ‘Take James Harden off our team, and we’re nowhere’

Feb 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

J.J. Redick, DeAndre Jordan, James Harden J.J. Redick, DeAndre Jordan, James Harden

Rockets general manager says he recommended trading ‘everything’ for Harden in 2012

2. Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EST

Russell Westbrook AP

He was evaluated by doctors after the game Friday.

3. Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48

Feb 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EST

Anthony mason knicks Getty Images

He had been in the hospital for weeks following multiple heart attacks.

4. Langston Galloway three forces overtime, Knicks go on to victory (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

New York Knicks v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

The Knicks got the double OT win in Detroit, this shot was key.

5. Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway

Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

Russell Westbrook AP

Westbrook is averaging a triple-double over his last five games.

6. Knicks’ Alexey Shved misses shot about as badly as you can (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST

Boston Celtics Vs. New York Knicks TD Garden Getty Images

To quote Bob Uecker, “juuuuust a bit outside.”

7. Rumor: Baron Davis planning an NBA comeback. Stop laughing, he’s serious.

Feb 27, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Jordan Brand Melo M9 Shoe Launch Getty Images

There is about as much chance of me getting a date with Emily Ratajkowski this weekend as there is of this actually happening.

8. What’s the best way to defend Kings’ cherry-picking idea?

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST

NBA teams are considering the question

9. Daryl Morey believes two bad shots are better than one good shot (always), but data wasn’t significant enough for Jeff Van Gundy to change

Feb 27, 2015, 7:59 PM EST

Houston Rockets Draft Picks Press Conference Getty Images

An interesting anecdote from Morey (speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference) about how the data showed an advantage, but not one big enough for his coach to change.

10. Re-inventing the Wheel: Mike Zarren presents modified NBA-draft-lottery-reform proposals

Feb 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EST

the modified draft wheel

Instead of 30-year plan, assistant Celtics general manager unveils five-year and 10-year plans

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. D. Rose (7865)
  2. K. Durant (7135)
  3. S. Curry (6856)
  4. D. Howard (6746)
  5. R. Westbrook (6145)
  1. P. George (6048)
  2. M. Carter-Williams (5747)
  3. B. Beal (5680)