Dwight Howard: Kobe never offered to teach me how to be a champion

Jul 6, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard

Remember when Kobe Bryant tried to get Dwight Howard to stay in Los Angeles by telling him, “Let me teach you how to be a champion”?

Never happened, Howard says.

Howard in a Q&A with Alex Kennedy of Hoops World:

What did you think of Kobe Bryant’s comments that he could teach you how to be a winner?

DH: “He didn’t say anything of that sort. People twisted a lot of stuff that he said. But in my personal opinion, I’m a winner. I’m a winner because I’ve been playing for nine years when the average career for an NBA player is three years. I’m a winner because I made it to the NBA from a small school in Atlanta, GA, with 16 people in a class. I’m a winner because I’m succeeding in life. I’ve had problems and I’m not better than the next man, but I’m going to push myself to be a winner when it comes to winning a championship. But he didn’t say anything like that and a lot of people twisted what he did say.”

There are many ingredients necessary to become an NBA champion.

One is an incredible drive, often becoming a willingness to let basketball come before everything else in your life. Kobe has that skill – maybe even too much of it – but, without a doubt, he has it. (Whether he can actually teach it to Howard is a whole other question.)

But talent is also necessary, and no matter how much teaching Kobe would have done, the Lakers don’t have enough talent. Kobe is old and injured, Pau Gasol is old and Steve Nash is even older. Not to detract from how great those players once were, but this was no longer a championship-caliber team.

The Rockets have the talent to win a championship, or at least come close. There’s no guarantee they’ll learn how to harness it in the playoffs’ toughest moments, but Houston coach Kevin McHale might be capable of teaching the young team how to do it.

I’d rather bank on learning how to be a champion than learning how to be insanely talented. Apparently, Howard agrees.

Latest Posts
  1. Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day

May 26, 2015, 2:29 AM EDT

Josh Smith AP

In the four Rockets’ elimination games this season, Smith has 63 points on 22-of-34 shooting (64.7 percent).

2. Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry

May 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

MVP runner-up shines while MVP misses substantial portion of Houston’s Game 4 win

3. Danny Ainge consulted with Celtics’ guard Isaiah Thomas about potential free agents

May 25, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Isaiah Thomas AP

It’s a sign Thomas may be around for a little bit.

4. NBA will not move up Finals start date; June 4 locked in for Game 1

May 25, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT

Miami Heat Victory Parade And Rally Getty Images

The league had been exploring moving Game 1 up to June 2.

5. LeBron James calls for non-violence after Brelo verdict

May 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptfhodazn2mxnwvmm2zknmq1mdljytayytg0mtuynwi4 AP

Cavaliers star says he will research case further before saying more

6. Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers

May 25, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Washington Wizards-Game Six Getty Images

Doc Rivers decided to offer his mid-level exception money last summer to Spencer Hawes instead of Pierce. He’d like that one over.

7. LeBron James carries load, makes enough plays in Cavaliers win (VIDEO)

May 25, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Three Getty Images

LeBron finished with 37 points, 18 rebounds and 13 assists .

8. Al Horford ejected after elbow to Matthew Dellavedova’s shoulder (VIDEO)

May 24, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT

Al Horford Al Horford

A trend is becoming clear: Do not mess with Dellavedova.

Will Klay Thompson get a little help on James Harden?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches