Dwight Howard: Kobe never offered to teach me how to be a champion

Jul 6, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard

Remember when Kobe Bryant tried to get Dwight Howard to stay in Los Angeles by telling him, “Let me teach you how to be a champion”?

Never happened, Howard says.

Howard in a Q&A with Alex Kennedy of Hoops World:

What did you think of Kobe Bryant’s comments that he could teach you how to be a winner?

DH: “He didn’t say anything of that sort. People twisted a lot of stuff that he said. But in my personal opinion, I’m a winner. I’m a winner because I’ve been playing for nine years when the average career for an NBA player is three years. I’m a winner because I made it to the NBA from a small school in Atlanta, GA, with 16 people in a class. I’m a winner because I’m succeeding in life. I’ve had problems and I’m not better than the next man, but I’m going to push myself to be a winner when it comes to winning a championship. But he didn’t say anything like that and a lot of people twisted what he did say.”

There are many ingredients necessary to become an NBA champion.

One is an incredible drive, often becoming a willingness to let basketball come before everything else in your life. Kobe has that skill – maybe even too much of it – but, without a doubt, he has it. (Whether he can actually teach it to Howard is a whole other question.)

But talent is also necessary, and no matter how much teaching Kobe would have done, the Lakers don’t have enough talent. Kobe is old and injured, Pau Gasol is old and Steve Nash is even older. Not to detract from how great those players once were, but this was no longer a championship-caliber team.

The Rockets have the talent to win a championship, or at least come close. There’s no guarantee they’ll learn how to harness it in the playoffs’ toughest moments, but Houston coach Kevin McHale might be capable of teaching the young team how to do it.

I’d rather bank on learning how to be a champion than learning how to be insanely talented. Apparently, Howard agrees.

Latest Posts
  1. Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls

Apr 27, 2015, 2:34 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwzjymvhyzgwzgy5njixztvmzwrlzgzmymqxyza3ytg5 AP

Love being out could be an issue in the next round as the Cavs take on the Bulls.

2. Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston

Apr 27, 2015, 1:38 AM EDT

Monta Ellis, Trevor Ariza AP

The question is can Dallas replicate all they did right on the road?

3. Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep

Apr 26, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Toronto Raptors Washington Wizards v Toronto Raptors

Another stellar performance from John Wall buries Toronto’s season.

4. Watch Chris Paul, Blake Griffin combine for big days to even Clippers with Spurs (VIDEO)

Apr 26, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT

Blake Griffin, ,Chris Paul Blake Griffin, ,Chris Paul

The Clippers needed their big stars to step up Sunday or they were going to be in a very deep hole. They got it.

5. Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs

Apr 26, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Chris Paul AP

Blake Griffin grabbed 19 rebounds, and Austin Rivers (!) chipped in 16 points in 17 minutes off the bench.

6. Report: Sixers to select D’Angelo Russell in 2015 NBA Draft

Apr 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Ohio State v Indiana AP

“He’s the guy they want,” the report says.

7. LaMarcus Aldridge flew back to Portland after Game 2 loss while rest of Blazers stayed in Memphis

Apr 26, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three

Players were given the option by the team’s GM, but Aldridge — who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer — was the only one who chose to leave.

8. Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead

Apr 26, 2015, 2:37 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Getty Images

Memphis’ offense was the best it has looked this series.

Stephen Curry starting to define playoff legacy
Top 10 NBA Player Searches