Dwight Howard: Kobe never offered to teach me how to be a champion

Jul 6, 2013, 9:30 AM EST

Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard

Remember when Kobe Bryant tried to get Dwight Howard to stay in Los Angeles by telling him, “Let me teach you how to be a champion”?

Never happened, Howard says.

Howard in a Q&A with Alex Kennedy of Hoops World:

What did you think of Kobe Bryant’s comments that he could teach you how to be a winner?

DH: “He didn’t say anything of that sort. People twisted a lot of stuff that he said. But in my personal opinion, I’m a winner. I’m a winner because I’ve been playing for nine years when the average career for an NBA player is three years. I’m a winner because I made it to the NBA from a small school in Atlanta, GA, with 16 people in a class. I’m a winner because I’m succeeding in life. I’ve had problems and I’m not better than the next man, but I’m going to push myself to be a winner when it comes to winning a championship. But he didn’t say anything like that and a lot of people twisted what he did say.”

There are many ingredients necessary to become an NBA champion.

One is an incredible drive, often becoming a willingness to let basketball come before everything else in your life. Kobe has that skill – maybe even too much of it – but, without a doubt, he has it. (Whether he can actually teach it to Howard is a whole other question.)

But talent is also necessary, and no matter how much teaching Kobe would have done, the Lakers don’t have enough talent. Kobe is old and injured, Pau Gasol is old and Steve Nash is even older. Not to detract from how great those players once were, but this was no longer a championship-caliber team.

The Rockets have the talent to win a championship, or at least come close. There’s no guarantee they’ll learn how to harness it in the playoffs’ toughest moments, but Houston coach Kevin McHale might be capable of teaching the young team how to do it.

I’d rather bank on learning how to be a champion than learning how to be insanely talented. Apparently, Howard agrees.

Latest Posts
  1. Timberwolves president Flip Saunders rips organization for mocking Kevin Love in video promoting game vs. Cavaliers

Feb 1, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

2013 NBA Draft Lottery Getty Images

Saunders (also the team’s head coach): “Would San Antonio do that? No. They wouldn’t do that.”

2. Report: Rajon Rondo out Monday, doctors continuing to evaluate facial injury

Feb 1, 2015, 1:12 PM EST

Rajon Rondo Rajon Rondo

Rondo suffered the injury during the Mavs’ Saturday win over the Magic.

3. Pistons fans boo Josh Smith in his return, savor his struggles

Feb 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Josh Smith AP

Pistons fans booed Smith every time he touched the ball.

4. Marshawn Lynch played basketball exactly how you think he would

Feb 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

Marshawn Lynch AP

Before helping Seattle Seahawks reach Super Bowl, Lynch was high school teammate of Leon Powe

5. Hawks guard Thabo Sefolosha out six to eight weeks

Feb 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

Brooklyn Nets v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Kent Bazemore moves into starting lineup with DeMarre Carroll also out

6. Timberwolves short Kevin Love an All-Star appearance in tribute video

Jan 31, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Minnesota fans boo Love during pregame intros, cheer him during tribute video

7. Enes Kanter talks trash before, gloats after Utah’s win over Warriors

Jan 31, 2015, 6:30 PM EST

Utah Jazz v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Kanter was dismissive of both Klay Thompson and Andrew Bogut before Friday night’s win.

8. Kevin Love expecting boos when he returns to Minnesota with Cavaliers

Jan 31, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day Getty Images

Cleveland plays the Timberwolves in Minnesota on Saturday.

9. Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas

Jan 31, 2015, 3:21 PM EST

Minnesota Timberwolves v Orlando Magic Getty Images

With Ricky Rubio, Nikola Pekovic and Kevin Martin back in the rotation the Timberwolves will not be such a pushover.

10. Gerald Green receives first DNP in two seasons with Suns, team shoots down trade rumors

Jan 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Green being unexpectedly held out led some to speculate that he might be dealt.

11. Derrick Rose half-court alley-oop to Jimmy Butler (VIDEO)

Jan 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Jimmy Butler, Alex Len Jimmy Butler, Alex Len

They’re not winning, but they still produce some highlight plays.

Who should be All-Star Game reserves?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches