Jul 6, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
Rockets fans, you can thank Chandler Parsons.
Well, it was certainly a lot more than that which helped Dwight Howard decide to land with the Rockets. Daryl Morey’s smart handling of assets and cap space played a big role, as did the acquisition of James Harden. Having Hakeem Olajuwon and Yao Ming in on the pitch didn’t hurt.
But consider Parsons the ground forces that crossed the border just before the invasion and provided support for everything that was to come. A story at Forbes Magazine (yes Forbes, Howard’s move is big business) explains everything.
“Chandler was relentless,” explained a source close to the situation to FORBES. ”[Chandler] called and texted [Dwight] every day, even face-timed and would answer every question Dwight could potentially have. We would drive to his house in the hills and talk to him. Basically Chandler Parsons recruited him like Nick Saban and a 5-star defensive tackle; they hardly knew each other at beginning of process.”
Dwight Howard jumped straight from high school to the NBA, he didn’t really undergo the college recruiting process, where every top coach in the nation would have essentially kissed his behind to get Howard to come to their university. Players such as him (and LeBron James, and others) who didn’t have that experience seem to want to savor the process.
We all want to be wanted, to be needed, and told such. Chandler Parsons did just that — he made Howard feel wanted in way he never did that full season on Los Angeles. It worked.
It worked out for everyone Howard is a Rocket and Parsons is going to get a nice pay bump off his rookie deal as a key cog in a contending team.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7