Jul 5, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
UPDATE 10:42 p.m.: OK, now it’s over. The Lakers released a statement saying they’ve been informed of Dwight’s decision to join the Rockets.
10:12 p.m.: Just when we thought we had come to a resolution on where Dwight Howard would decide to play next season, reports are circulating that he has had a change of heart, and that his final choice hasn’t been made just yet.
Let’s start with Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:
Lakers have been told by Dwight Howard’s camp that he has not made up his mind yet. #thickeningplot
— Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) July 6, 2013
Followed by ESPN’s Chris Broussard:
Source: D12 has landed in LA & told Lakers it’s 50-50 btwn them and the Rockets. He’s having 2nd thoughts about leaving $30 mill on table
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 6, 2013
In a word, this is nuts. But the money is a real consideration, and it’s something I pointed out this morning.
While it’s true that Howard’s age would have him in line for another multi-year deal four years from now, injuries are a reality he became all too familiar with before last season. Howard underwent back surgery, and it took him until after the All-Star break to start to consistently resemble the player that teams aren’t thinking twice about building around at the cost of a max contract for four or five seasons.
The saga is a bit maddening, but remember that the reporters that broke the initial news are as reliable as they come, and Howard has a history of indecision.
Neither Howard nor his reps have made any public statements or announcements regarding any final choice, so it’s probably wise to continue to stand by (and not make any new investments in season tickets anywhere) until we receive word of something official.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 16
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 47