Jul 5, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Let us for a second ignore the elephant in the room — that the Boston Celtics very well may trade Rajon Rondo. We all know that could well happen.
That despite the report from our own A. Sherod Blakely of CSNNE.com that Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck said he wants to rebuild with newly hired coach Brad Stevens and Rondo. That’s what he’s supposed to say.
What matters is despite reports questioning if Stevens and Rondo can co-exist both say they could work well together.
The two have already spoken and during his introductory press conference Friday Stevens was clear he’d like to coach Rondo.
“There is no bigger fan of Rajon Rondo than me,” Stevens said.
Well a source close to Rondo who has talked with the guard since the Stevens hiring said Rondo is looking at the move with a “completely open mind.”
They are going into this with an open mind. But Rondo has admitted he is difficult to coach and Stevens is going from a mid-major college where he had all the power to an NBA system where the stars have the power. This is certainly a situation worth monitoring.
But the two sides started out saying the right things.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21