Jul 5, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Philadelphia will receive the draft rights to international prospect Furkan Aldemir and cash in addition to White, while the Rockets will clear White’s $1.7 million from the books in exchange for “future draft considerations.”
White didn’t play at all last season for the Rockets, and was very open publicly about an anxiety disorder which prevents him from flying at times, among other things.
Houston suspended White at one point last season for failing to report, but eventually convinced him to play in the D-League where he ended up averaging 11.4 points and 5.7 rebounds in 16 games with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
If you’re wondering why the Sixers would bother taking a risk on White, the reason is that there’s a Houston connection in the Philadelphia front office.
The new GM of the Sixers, Sam Hinkie, came from the Rockets, where he was the executive VP of basketball operations prior to getting the gig in Philly. He likely was involved in the choice to draft White, and believes there’s still hope for him with a new team to contribute at the NBA level.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 11
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29